Console Add-on

Please see our tutorials and FAQ before posting.
FL_Joel
New Poster
New Poster

Console Add-on

Post by FL_Joel »

I need to add on to an existing console in order to flush mount some electronics. It looks like the closest plywood supplier to me has either poplar-based or fir-based marine ply . There is approximately $25/sheet difference. Based on what I have read on here, I understand reasons that you would not want to use poplar-based ply in the construction of a hull. However, for this application, it seems like poplar-based ply will be sufficient. I figure that if the top of the console is subjected to constant moisture bombardment (which is under a T Top), then the boat is probably upside-down and I would have larger problems. :) Thoughts?

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Console Add-on

Post by OrangeQuest »

Moisture is in the air and more so near water. But you can seal the plywood up with any oil base paint or stain. How much plywood are you needing? Because you get luan from home depot on the cheap and it works well if you seal it. You can get it in less than full sheets and different thickness. You can also get polyurethane paint that seals wood very well and can get it in less than quarts or gallons.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

FL_Joel
New Poster
New Poster

Post by FL_Joel »

I need less than a half sheet. I am tying into an exisitng console that is likely a divinylcell core. I plan to coat/glass in whatever I fabricate and will probably paint the entire console (w/ Interlux or similar). Therefore, whatever I use "should be" moisture resistant. I am not familiar with luan but if it similar quality to the rest of the playwood that HD or Lowes carries, I am not interested. I guess I can go check out what they carry.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

FL_Joel wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:13 pm I need less than a half sheet. I am tying into an exisitng console that is likely a divinylcell core. I plan to coat/glass in whatever I fabricate and will probably paint the entire console (w/ Interlux or similar). Therefore, whatever I use "should be" moisture resistant. I am not familiar with luan but if it similar quality to the rest of the playwood that HD or Lowes carries, I am not interested. I guess I can go check out what they carry.
You can get luan plywood in a marine grade or in just a exterior grade and save some money. I have never heard of poplar being made into a plywood much less a marine grade where as the fir plywood does come in a marine grade, the wood being very water resistant and not just the glue. From your statement of the $25 difference in price I was thinking you wanted to use the poplar and save some money. Please excuse my assuming that from your statement. I was confused. Seems you have something against big box store plywood that sells plywood in less than full sheets which I also assumed you needed. I have a Mom and Pop lumber yard near me that sells just about any kind of plywood you would like but it is all in full sheets. Good luck!
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

FL_Joel
New Poster
New Poster

Post by FL_Joel »

Stopped by HD on the way home. No Luan (or Lauan based on their website) available there or apparently at any nearby stores (Tampa Area). Therefore, I am back to purchasing from a single location lumber store in St. Pete. I was planning on saving the money and going with the poplar ply but in the grand scheme, I'd rather not have to deal with it ever again and the cost difference is minimal since I need very little at the moment.

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

I agree with you that the quality of products at the big box stores is typically lower than for the products you get elsewhere for a higher price. I ran a small cabinet business and the few times I bought a piece of "cabinet grade" plywood the difference was immediately apparent. I've heard that some of the products from major name manufacturers (e.g. paints and tools) are special made for economy sale in the big box stores- there's a reason when things cost less, and it's not usually because of lower profit margins. When it's apples to apples I sometimes see the big box stores asking a higher price than lumber yards.

All that said, for a console add-on I think you could get away with a lesser quality ply as long as it's exterior glue and it's well sealed on every edge and side. I'd throw on some light glass both sides for peace of mind.

Poplar sees a lot of use as a plywood core for other veneer surfaces, it has low rot resistance but then I understand so does Okoume. Lauan used to be marketed as Philippine mahogany because it looks vaguely like mahogany, its biggest attraction is it was cheap.
Hank

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Looks like the Luan maybe be a regional thing, they don't sell poplar here in my area but I can get it off the internet and they will ship it to my HD store. The Luan is also marketed as Meranti.
A. A. Milne

Aripeka Angler
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Aripeka Angler »

What thickness of ply do you need?
I’ve got some stock if you need some locally.
Best way to contact me is a pm on this forum...
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB »

I live in DeLand.

I may have pieces of 1/4 and 3/8 Okoume (BBC store) that may work for you. If you know the sizes of what you need, I'll see what I have. I don't have full or part sheets that I can give you. Just pieces.

Bob.
04.jpg

FL_Joel
New Poster
New Poster

Post by FL_Joel »

Thank you both for the offer. As a last ditch effort, I checked Lowe's in Clearwater and they carried 2'x4' sheets of Laun (Lauan?). Picked up what I needed and brought my boat to the house (have to store it elsewhere). Now, if I could just get the rain to stop, I could make some progress.