Plywood for an JA18 build

Please see our tutorials and FAQ before posting.
santafe6153
New Poster
New Poster

Plywood for an JA18 build

Post by santafe6153 »

Hello
I would like to build a JA18 but I can not find 6mm plywood in France is it possible to take 5mm with a layer of epoxy resin in 450g (15.5oz)?

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Plywood for an JA18 build

Post by Jeff »

santafe6153, Welcome to our builders forum!! You will receive good guidance and support from the membership!! And it is always nice to see another one of our boats being built in France!! Please allow Jacques (Designer) a little time to respond to your question related to the marine plywood but while you wait, Google "Joubert Marine Plywood" or "Bruynzeel Marine Plywood" as these first class brands on Marine Plywood are made there in France!! Again, Jacques will respond back on the question!! Again, welcome!! Jeff

santafe6153
New Poster
New Poster

Post by santafe6153 »

Thank you for your welcome I am simple particuler and suppliers do not sell in all 100 panels! 8O

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

The plywood sold by BoatBuilderCentral comes from France, Italy or the Netherlands. Bruynzeel is manufactured in Italy or Hollansd, Joubert is French.
You should have easier access to CP than we do.
In France, what we sell here as 6 mm is sometimes named 5 mm because because it is 5,5 mm thick. That type is fine.
What matters is the type of wood, a marine glue and the number of layers. Okume is preffered and it comes from Gabon. In France, it is sometimes named Gabon.
Post specs of what you can find and we can decide.
BTW, if you are in the Orne, you should find good suppliers in Cherbourg.
I have not been there in years but post suppliers names and I may remember.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB »

You can't get help like this anywhere!

Marry Christmas and Happy New Year to the great guys and one girl(?) that make up Bateau.com and BBC.

1231171430~2.jpg