GV10 Stop and Start Project

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: GV10 Stop and Start Project

Post by Fuzz »

You will get there. Just need the metal melter to do it's thing :roll:

MikeyGnz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by MikeyGnz »

fallguy1000 wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:49 pm Have you calculated a final weight?0
A VERY ROUGH weight estimate.

According to the study plans GV10 final weight = 43kg but it does not say if this is using okoume or meranti ply.

Bill of materials:
3 sheets 6mm ply
1 sheet 9mm ply
11L resin

From google: 6mm sheet ply = 9.7kg okoume/12.6kg meranti. 9mm sheet ply = 13.2kg gaboon/17.4kg meranti.

Assuming resin is 1kg/L the proportion of plywood used is:
(43kg – 11kg) / (3*9.7kg + 1*13.2kg) = 75.7% for okoume or 58% for meranti.

I am using 4 sheets of 2.5mm 5.52 aluminium at 19.29kg/sheet for a total weight of 77.16kg sheet. If the 43kg in the study plans was with okoume ply this would mean I can expect to use 58.4kg of my alloy sheet. If the 43kg in the study plans was with meranti ply this would mean I can expect to use 44.8kg of my alloy sheet.

As well as the alloy sheet I am using about 10m of 30*30*3mm angle extrusion at 0.463kg/m = 4.63kg, about 0.5kg of welding rods, call it 5kg for the transom board and another 5kg of 6mm ply for seats. So all up final weight estimate:
73.5kg assuming the 43kg weight in the study plans was with okoume ply.
60kg assuming the 43kg weight in the study plans was with meranti ply.

The difference between these weights and the 43kg on the study plans is roughly the same as the spare tyre round my middle. I can offset the material weight gain by dropping the tyre.
Last edited by MikeyGnz on Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MikeyGnz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by MikeyGnz »

Fuzz wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:18 pm You will get there. Just need the metal melter to do it's thing :roll:
I'm starting to think it is operator error.

Evan_Gatehouse
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Evan_Gatehouse »

43kg is using okoume
designer: FB11/GV10,11,13/ HMD18/
SK17,MM21/MT24

MikeyGnz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by MikeyGnz »

It wasn't me, it was the beer.

So the cause of the welder failures has been identified. When the beer fridge kicks in while welding the welder gets a voltage spike and burns out the input power board. I'll have to move the beer fridge onto another circuit.

Although the welder is still in for repairs I got the 2 frames welded up before it broke the second time. Some of the welds on the inside corners are ugly but when finished they will be hidden.

Holiday today so I spent some time sanding/grinding down the weld beads on the surfaces the frames meet the hull or seats.

There are a couple of places I didn't get enough penetration so I'll have to touch them up but I'm pleased with most of it. Along the top of the alloy section in the centre of the photo below you can see a bit where the weld didn't penetrate and after grinding it hasn't fused.
Last edited by MikeyGnz on Sat May 16, 2020 1:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Interesting on the beer fridge.

Frames look good.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Yes, frames look good!! Crazy about your fridge!! Jeff

MikeyGnz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by MikeyGnz »

OrangeQuest wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:49 am Interesting on the beer fridge.
Jeff wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:30 am Crazy about your fridge!! Jeff
Speaking to the repair guy, the max voltage before the power circuits in the welder fail is 275V. Our power system runs at 240V so it only needs a small amount of arcing when a thermostat is opening or closing to give a spike over 275V. Technically the welder socket should be on its own circuit as it has a 15A plug and standard sockets are 10A but my garage only has a single circuit so unless I rip the roof off the house to lay new wiring from the switchboard I'm stuck with what I have. I blame developers building everything as cheap as possible.

In future I will run an extension cord into the house and plug the fridge and freezer off it so the welder is the only thing running on the garage circuit.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Could you install something like this to protect the welder from surges?
https://www.smarthome.com/leviton-51120 ... essor.html
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

Just another example of how beer and the use of power tools don't mix :lol: