Panga 20 Build

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Panga 20 Build

Post by fallguy1000 »

Jaysen wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:37 pm
fallguy1000 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:15 pm
FluidDynamic wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:53 pm

I keep my boats simple with no name.
Just curious. How would you call the CG without a name?
I’ve been told that using registration numbers is the answer. Lots of “small craft” here have no name. More than a few don’t even have radios. They rely on cell phones. CG always comments on that when they rescue someone that had to wait for a Good Samaritan because salt water and cell phones are mortal enemies.

Of course vhf radios that are a fixed to an underwater hull aren’t all that useful either.
I have this vision of me frantically calling the CG and trying to remember the numbers which I do not know.. They are on the outside of the hull. I suppose from a swimming position. Got the decal inside as well.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

fallguy1000 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:57 pm
Jaysen wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:37 pm
fallguy1000 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:15 pm

Just curious. How would you call the CG without a name?
I’ve been told that using registration numbers is the answer. Lots of “small craft” here have no name. More than a few don’t even have radios. They rely on cell phones. CG always comments on that when they rescue someone that had to wait for a Good Samaritan because salt water and cell phones are mortal enemies.

Of course vhf radios that are a fixed to an underwater hull aren’t all that useful either.
I have this vision of me frantically calling the CG and trying to remember the numbers which I do not know.. They are on the outside of the hull. I suppose from a swimming position. Got the decal inside as well.

Securite securite securite

This is sv.............hang on......................break.........................securite securite securite, this is sv.............VT 5...........is that a zero or O?...............nm, I'll just use the phone. Over.

I dont have a name on the back of my boat, but it has a name, which I use when crossing into canada and back, and that's about it. If you go with a us reg I think you have to have the name on the back visible from some distance plus the hailing port.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

FluidDynamic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by FluidDynamic »

My offshore boat I have a handheld vhf and fixed vhf, 2 epirbs, and life raft. I have no name on it either. Most boats don't in our area unless there big sport fishers. I would use the registration number and color of boat(yellow) if I had to call cg. If I'm calling the cg, I've probably already used my epirb.

This boat I will just use a handheld vhf.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Thanks all. Sorry FD. I have a 16' skiff and I always wondered how I'd call the CG, even if for someone else. Giving my name as blue Lund seemed odd.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

cape man

Post by cape man »

The Coast guard rescues people, not boats. Give them your name.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

FluidDynamic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by FluidDynamic »

I tested the 11.6x14 prop out again with one adult and a ice chest. It is the right prop for those conditions. When I'm by myself with an ice chest, it is borderline teeter totting above 6300 rpm.

I also ran the boat in a 1 to 2 foot chop head sea and following sea and the boat rode great. No pounding or walking. I'm really impressed with how it drives.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Great report! The one thing panga builders all seem to say is they are like driving a sports car :D

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

FD if your running up against the rev limiters with the 11.6x14 aluminum you might want to go up to an 11x15 SS but see what you get with the one you have ordered. I think you said you said you can exchange it. A SS is more efficient than an aluminum prop. I had someone get into my computer and block me from using it for a week.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

FluidDynamic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by FluidDynamic »

Put the finishing touch on.
Attachments
20210421_212413.jpg
20210421_212338.jpg

FluidDynamic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by FluidDynamic »

I do have to give credit for the designer on the boat. Everywhere I go, I get asked what kind of boat it is and comments on how beautiful it is. The lines on the design are incredible. I've even had people wave me down going down the road and ask questions about the boat.

All I did was follow the plans.