AR15 Denver

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Biney777
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

AR15 Denver

Post by Biney777 »

Hi Everybody, Here is the latest overall pic of my AR15 build. Just dry fitting the seat sides. I also glassed the rudder blade and Centerboard this weekend. And just from looking at these pics I can tell I will need to start keeping my shop a whole lot more organized! :wink: :wink: .
Attachments
Glassed Centerboard
Glassed Centerboard
Glassed rudder blade
Glassed rudder blade
Most recent progress pic
Most recent progress pic
Last edited by Biney777 on Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Completed Danny Greene "Chameleon" a 10 1/2' nesting/rowing/sailing dinghy. Building an Alexa's Rocket 15 w/ optional retractable spinnaker pole.

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: AR15 Denver

Post by cape man »

I thought AR 15's were now illegal in Colorado! :help: No wonder you have built it so stealthily. :lol:

Wow! She looks awesome! I'll send pics of my shop to make you feel better.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Looking good!

A clean shop means you are not doing anything and got bored! :D
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

Well alright, alright, alright! NICE looking AR15 right there. I really like the shape of the boat too. She's going to be a lot of fun on the lakes. Thanks for posting!

Oh and BTW your pic is sideways but it rights itself if you click on it. Never seen that before. Some forum pics can be enlarged and some can't. I was trying to enlarge one of yours and it flipped itself the right way and enlarged :D

Bogie

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Biney777, Looks good!!! Keep the photos coming!! Jeff

Biney777
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Biney777 »

Thank you all, for the kind words. Jeff you were right about having a build thread helping with motivation. Long day at work today and I still found the energy to take some pics of what I got done this weekend. I did chat with Mauri Pro Sailing today and now have a plan for the Furling system for the headsail. Just need to get it ordered and get the spec's to Precision Sails.
Attachments
Sternmost underseat locker space filled and sanded.
Sternmost underseat locker space filled and sanded.
Stainless steel centerboard backing plates installed.
Stainless steel centerboard backing plates installed.
Last two under sole compartments foamed!
Last two under sole compartments foamed!
Completed Danny Greene "Chameleon" a 10 1/2' nesting/rowing/sailing dinghy. Building an Alexa's Rocket 15 w/ optional retractable spinnaker pole.

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

Very nice! And thanks for posting the sail info. I need to start looking for a sail (the modified Chinese lug sail that's in the AD16 plans) before too long. That AR15 looks robust!

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Boogie, the sail isn't the long pole right now. I think you want to make sure you want the lug over bermuda as it will change a bit of the rigging. I'm not saying DON'T go with the lug. I'm just thinking it might be worth holding off a bit before you get the sail. I have a few questions that we should discuss over adult beverages (we can summarize the discussion here once we've sobered up from the "discussion").
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by BrianC »

Jason, most of the water here in Colorado is very cold (most is frozen right now!) so choosing a sailing rig less likely to put you in the water is the way to go if you want to maxize season length. The alternative is to wear a dry suit for all your spring sailing and whenever you go sailing on one of the mountain lakes. - Brian
SK14 completed ——— GV15 under construction "...there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.”
The Wind in the Willows — Kenneth Grahame

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Bogieman and I are on the South Carolina coast (I was actually in the water over the weekend because it was warmer than the air!). The area that BM is going to be sailing in has some features that might make the sail options available in a Bermuda rig preferable to a lug. There's nothing wrong with a lug sail but I think in BM case it bares a bit of "inebriated discussion".

If I were in Denver, my biggest concern would be finding a way to move someplace warm! But I'm a sissy when it comes to cold. Hence my departure from upstate NY to the glorious SC coast.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.