AR15 Denver

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Biney777
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: AR15 Denver

Post by Biney777 »

I know for me i would say it is working "Well!" My oar plans have still not been shipped. :( And now that we have an Amazin distribution center in Colorado (at least I think we do) there is a LOT of stuff that they will deliver the same day you order it.

I requested the books Fallguy mentioned in his blog."survive the savage sea" and "The last voyage of the Lucette." Hopefully I will get them before the weekend. Fingers crossed!

Chris
Completed Danny Greene "Chameleon" a 10 1/2' nesting/rowing/sailing dinghy. Building an Alexa's Rocket 15 w/ optional retractable spinnaker pole.

Biney777
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Biney777 »

Still no books or oar plans either! :-(

The shrink wrap worked really well. I did not perforate it like I have seen others do. I had several reasons for not.
1. The fiberglass sock was very heavy maybe 12oz???
2. I had not pre-applied any epoxy to the wood first
3. I only put enough on to wet out the fiberglass
4. I didn't want to have to go back and fill the weave later

I did have to put a light coat of epoxy on after a quick rough sanding to fill out the weave. So I think I made the right call by not perforating the wrap.

I then sanded it about 90% smooth.

I then used TotalBoat topside primer which ia a high fill primer.

And right there is when things went awry!!!

I put the primer on Saturday and as of this morning 4 days later I can still dent it with my fingernail. It is supposed to be sandable in an hour... I have been working on removing the primer as much as my patience allows since Sunday. At this point I have about 90%+ of the primer removed. I have spoken with Tech support at Jamestown distributors a couple times. The current theory is that I put it on wayyyy to thick and that if I am patient it will dry out eventually. I don't know that I buy that theory completely as most of the primer has been removed. It did seem a bit harder last night tho. So my goal is to wait till the weekend before I take extreme measures...

On a good note, I have decided to put a very basic electrical system in the boat now while wire runs are simple and easy. Just enough for bow and stern and a masthead light. With an easily removable battery for when I am trying to go fast! During the day. :D
Attachments
Neat coat of epoxy to fill the weave
Neat coat of epoxy to fill the weave
Shrink wrap removed
Shrink wrap removed
Completed Danny Greene "Chameleon" a 10 1/2' nesting/rowing/sailing dinghy. Building an Alexa's Rocket 15 w/ optional retractable spinnaker pole.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Mast looks great.
Very aggravating about the paint!
Tony

Netpackrat
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Netpackrat »

Sounds like another one part alkyd primer/enamel that doesn't play well with fresh epoxy. What you describe sounds exactly like what happened with the Interlux one part primer I used last year. I had to remove all of it, and start over with an epoxy primer as my base layer.

Biney777
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Biney777 »

Netpackrat wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 7:46 pm Sounds like another one part alkyd primer/enamel that doesn't play well with fresh epoxy. What you describe sounds exactly like what happened with the Interlux one part primer I used last year. I had to remove all of it, and start over with an epoxy primer as my base layer.
Thanks Netpackrat. That is what I was thinking too. The primer is still soft today, I can dent it with my fingernail. I have the bowsprit sitting in the sun now. With visions of sanding/scraping the rest of it off this weekend. Or tonight depending on my patience. Fingers crossed that the sun does the trick today!

Biney777
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Biney777 »

Thanks Tony.
I am really glad I put a neat coat of epoxy on before the primer. That will have saved me a ton of headache getting the primer removed. I should be able to sand "most" of it off, and only have to clean a few spots with xylene or whatever product I can find that will remove the primer. Xylene is nasty stuff and I hope I can find something else that will work.

Netpackrat
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Netpackrat »

I used a citrus based stripper that didn't seem to hurt the underlying epoxy. Got the rest with Interlux's "fiberglass wash" solvent that was recommended for prep with their paints.

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

There is some real craftsmanship going on in your build. Very impressive!

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Bogieman wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:58 am There is some real craftsmanship going on in your build. Very impressive!
I agree with Bogie! Very impressive indeed.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Biney777
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Biney777 »

Thanks Bogie and OrangeQuest. Most of the time between my inability to understand the plans and my lack of rigging knowledge I feel like a total hack, and that I should stick to putting Ikea furniture together!

I gave the TotalBoat topside primer a week to cure and it was not changing at all. Once again my fault for trying to save money. It does not say anywhere on the product that you can NOT use it over epoxy. BUTTT it also does not say that you can either. Surprise surprise they do have a primer that says it will work over epoxy it is just a lot more expensive and is not a high build primer.

Thanks to Netpackrat I went to HD and got their citrus based gel stripper. I smeared it on heavily Friday night and then wrapped the bowsprit and let it soak in overnight. Saturday morning with a bit of elbow grease and persistance I was able to remove 99.9% of the failed primer. I then scrubbed it with denatured alcohol and set it out in the sun to dry. I have two coats of "epoxy" two part primer on the bowsprit now and am ready to sand it smooth and paint it.

Couple things of note. 1. The HD paint guy said the product would not work for what I was doing... Thanks again Netpackrat! It worked great!
2. The two part primer goes a longggg way. I had to mix enough to know my ratio's were good. I did not want to strip the bowsprit again!!! I ended up with 2 costs of primer on my transom and every other part of the boat that had been faired at least halfway good. At over $100 a gallon I was not going to let it cure in the cup!
Attachments
2nd coat of primer applied. I was running out of daylight!
2nd coat of primer applied. I was running out of daylight!
Stripper being removed and elbow grease being applied. And yes that was a new sink when I started this build!
Stripper being removed and elbow grease being applied. And yes that was a new sink when I started this build!
Citrus gel stripper applied and left to soak overnight
Citrus gel stripper applied and left to soak overnight