AD and VG ballast options

Sail Boats 15' and up. Please include the boat type in your question.
Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: AD and VG ballast options

Post by Bogieman »

Thanks for this thread. I just found 20 lb lead bars and 3&4 lb ingots on Craiglist for $1.20 lb. The guy is 2 hours from me so I think I'll go that route if I can't locate something cheaper. No shipping cost involved either.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: AD and VG ballast options

Post by Jaysen »

jacquesmm wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:41 am The keel and the CB are two different things. The CB is not a keel, it is ballasted to go down. If there was no lead in it, it would float, never go down. It contributes a little bit to stability but not much.
The ballast in the hull is ballast for stability. Ideally, it should be made from lead ingots bolted down. The idea is that boat can be towed by a small car or truck with the ballast out of the boat, in the back of the truck: easy towing and launching. It is removable ballast.
Steel in concrete is not as dense, I do not recommend it.
That small amount of lead can be found on Craigslist, from tire places etc.
I prefer lead.
JM, thank you. Just to make sure I understand....

The 150lbs in the CB for the ad16 is just to overcome floatation and resistance through the water.

All the weight in hull is righting/stability ballast.

The location of the ballast is critical for proper righting and stability.

Correct?
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.