AD and VG ballast options

Sail Boats 15' and up. Please include the boat type in your question.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

AD and VG ballast options

Post by Jaysen »

Jacques,

I'm talking with a builder about ballast (may not may not be Bogieman) and we started thinking about lead alternatives. Since we there is a need to fill a large area under deck, is there a reason encased steel, iron or concrete can not be used?

Thanks.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: AD and VG ballast options

Post by terrulian »

Lead has a specific gravity of over 11; steel about 8; concrete about 2. 4. You're going to need a lot more space for those materials.
Tony

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown »

If price isn't a concern, tungsten.
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Price and availability are the issue.

Lead is more expensive to acquire than steel thanks to EPA and other regs. Steel if highly variable and difficult to form. Concrete is simple but as T said you need a lot. From my minor conversations there should be enough space to accomplish the job with concrete. “Should be”.

I just want to make sure that there’s no issue with the slightly higher/wider profile that would be generated by filling with non lead ballast.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

I always though that the weight being in the keel/centerboard did more than just add ballast. Thought that it also gives leverage for when the wind tries to blow the boat over.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Yep, that is what ballast is for.
Tony

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

100 pounds in the bottom of the hull doesn't have the same effects as 100 pounds hanging 3 feet below the bottom of the hull. More noticeable when the wind blows the sail. It's like a lever and a fulcrum. The hull is the fulcrum and the keel is the lever. 100 pounds in the hull with a light weight 3 foot keel would not have the same effect on a boat as a 100 pounds at the end of that 3 foot keel.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Ok...

There’s the CB lead and the hull ballast. The CB is not the question. It is the ballast (which is static in placement) that is under question. If one does the CB ballast properly (with lead) you still need 150lbs which for around the CB trunk. That’s only 2 bags of quickcrete which will fit in there nicely.

To reiterate the only portion in question is the static ballast intended to be installed around the CB trunk.

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

Jaysen wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:50 pm Ok...

There’s the CB lead and the hull ballast. The CB is not the question. It is the ballast (which is static in placement) that is under question. If one does the CB ballast properly (with lead) you still need 150lbs which for around the CB trunk. That’s only 2 bags of quickcrete which will fit in there nicely.

To reiterate the only portion in question is the static ballast intended to be installed around the CB trunk.
That ballast would be located forward of the trunk in the Adelie's.

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

The Spanish used gold on the way home.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman