Transom modification AD16 Myrtle Beach Bogieman

Sail Boats 15' and up. Please include the boat type in your question.
Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Transom modification AD16 Myrtle Beach Bogieman

Post by Bogieman »

So I'm seriosly contemplating making a small adjustment/ modification to my AD16 transom because I'm not happy w/ how it looks. See, I modified my seats by lowering them to be level with the sheer line. Jacques designed the seats to be raised towards the centerline and this allowed them to mate flush with the top of the transom and giving the boat really smooth lines (like a mini transat boat). Because my seats are flat it left about 3" of the tansom jutting up above the seats. It looks nice from the back but from the side it makes me wince a bit.

So here is a pic of what I'm planning. I outlined the possible cut pattern with black marker so it would be visible. What I would be doing is cuttiing the top of the transom to be flush with the seat tops. Iwould then cut a nicely rounded/ curved lower portion in the middle. The curves are planned to be the same size curves as the skuppers and I lined them up that way on purpoe so everything flows nicely visually, The curves will also be in line with and at the same width apart as the bottom of the companionway opening.

What do you guys think? Would it look nicer this way? It will be very easy to accomplish and I don't believe it will have any negative effect on the boat's performance.

I am also contemplating running 1x2 lip fwd/aft along the port and stbd seat edges
Attachments
transom mod.jpg

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Transom modification AD16 Myrtle Beach Bogieman

Post by Jaysen »

I say you
1. make you mod
2. run a zip all the way down to and across the sole
3. round the cut out top
4. make some drop in slots (like on the washboards to companionway)
5. put some holes to accept securing pins

Now you have the look you want, the option to have easy water entrance but super secure space, the option to have an open bow.

Hope that made sense. If not i'll dwar it on there tomorrow before dinner :)
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

I would not make any adjustments to the design without consulting Jacques. Perhaps these are purely aesthetic issues, perhaps not.
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

terrulian wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:29 pm I would not make any adjustments to the design without consulting Jacques. Perhaps these are purely aesthetic issues, perhaps not.
There are pics in the AD16 photo album at the BBC store with a full walkthrough transom.

I would think JM would not want that in the album is it was not "ok". I'd also think that Boogie's plan is much less impactful than a complete walkthrough. That said, we are both hoping JM will weigh in. Boogie really wants to attack that transom. It's hard to keep in away from it.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

Jaysen wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:45 pm
terrulian wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:29 pm I would not make any adjustments to the design without consulting Jacques. Perhaps these are purely aesthetic issues, perhaps not.
There are pics in the AD16 photo album at the BBC store with a full walkthrough transom.

I would think JM would not want that in the album is it was not "ok". I'd also think that Boogie's plan is much less impactful than a complete walkthrough. That said, we are both hoping JM will weigh in. Boogie really wants to attack that transom. It's hard to keep in away from it.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

I can't really get a visual, can you cut it out so I can get a better idea of it?
:lol: :lol:
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

OrangeQuest wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:33 pm I can't really get a visual, can you cut it out so I can get a better idea of it?
:lol: :lol:
Tony and Jaysen said I shouldn't until I get approval from Jacques :lol:

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

Hi,
The above picture with the completely cut out transom is a good idea if you want to use the boat with a small outboard motor on one side. I wonder how you attach the rudder when you want to sail most probably with inserting some wabbly wasboard transom version. Unfortunately there is no building thread of the Adelie 16 Gigster. I like your marker pen version which leaves you enough place to mount the 2 gudgeons and pintles as per plan. I have 3 on my transom of which the 3rd one is flush with the top of the transom which allows the rudder to be lifted up one pintle or is ithe gudgeon which is attached to the transom to avoid ground contact of the rudder in shallow water. See the picture here:

If you do not cut it too low at the top you might be able to fit also 3 rudder fittings. All in all I think it will look better with your suggested cut out but wait until Jacques has given you his opinion. He as the designer has always the best ideas.
Greetings from Karl
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

gonandkarl wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:49 am Hi,
The above picture with the completely cut out transom is a good idea if you want to use the boat with a small outboard motor on one side. I wonder how you attach the rudder when you want to sail most probably with inserting some wabbly wasboard transom version. Unfortunately there is no building thread of the Adelie 16 Gigster. I like your marker pen version which leaves you enough place to mount the 2 gudgeons and pintles as per plan. I have 3 on my transom of which the 3rd one is flush with the top of the transom which allows the rudder to be lifted up one pintle or is ithe gudgeon which is attached to the transom to avoid ground contact of the rudder in shallow water. See the picture here:

If you do not cut it too low at the top you might be able to fit also 3 rudder fittings. All in all I think it will look better with your suggested cut out but wait until Jacques has given you his opinion. He as the designer has always the best ideas.
Greetings from Karl
Thank you Karl! I really appreciate your opinion. I hope my Adelie turns out just as nice as yours.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

We discussed the transom when Boogieman came to visit us in Vero Beach.
I like the fully open transom BUT you need something across the top or some extension below for the rudder gudgeons.

I like the way B's transom is right now. You can cut it as you show, I don't see any problem with that either.

About the benches, I would have left them as designed. That angle has a purpose: you will be sailing at an angle and with moderate heeling, the top of the bench becomes horizontal. Right now, you will tend to slide off the seat but that's the case with many boats. Also, at rest, water drains from the slanted benches.

Anyway, it's done and it does not match the transom perfectly but still, I don't see that as aesthetically unpleasant. I like it as it is but you can cut the top.

Karl has 3 gudgeons, that's a lot. It's OK if the top each is offset a little bit (5 mm?) otherwise you have to engage all 3 at the same time and that is difficult to do in the water.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com