Homemade wooden pushpits?

Sail Boats 15' and up. Please include the boat type in your question.
Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Homemade wooden pushpits?

Post by Bogieman »

Capt UB wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:29 pm This page could give you some ideas on shape and size if you make them...

https://shop.hunterowners.com//hp/searc ... n%2520rail
Thanks CaptUB. I will take a look. It's supposed to rain a lot over the next couple weeks so it might be a good indoor project I might put one together and run some tests on it myself. It would cost almost nothing to build.

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

Capt UB wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:38 pm Sorry you got me thinking....

How about flush deck rod holders as the base, then the right type of dowel (wood) would fit inside the holder... 1.50" dia. I think. Then build on to that...
:D

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

Here are a few pics of my homemade pushpits, or one of them anyway. The plan is to roll each of the dowels in glass and then glue it together with thickened epoxy and FG tape. I wrapped masking tape to the ends of the dowels so they'd fit snug in the holes. The top L shaped piece is also temp taped in place.

The finished product would look much nicer than this. Still not sure if I'm going this way or with the SS.

Thank you Jaysen for your ideas.
Attachments
pushpit 1.jpg
pushpit 2.jpg
pushpit 3.jpg
pushpit 4.jpg

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

I don't see any pictures :(

I did do a search for what pushpits were and only came up with a young lady sitting on a seat in the corner of a sailboat wearing a bikini, her pushpits did look home made! 8O

Never mind, they loaded when I posted my comment
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

I like the height and the shape of them, is the top "l" shaped pieces going to be wood similar to the base?
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

OrangeQuest wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:49 pm I like the height and the shape of them, is the top "l" shaped pieces going to be wood similar to the base?
Thanks OQ! The top part is also made of 1" wooden dowels in a L shape. The tops of the vertical pieces will be cut with a hole saw so it leaves a concave area for the dowel to sit. The whole assembly would be glassed and glued.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I’m still thinking there needs to be a cross piece to support the middle of the angled dowels. Maybe 1/2” diameter. The concern would be a hit to that angled part. Even with glass it will be an area prone to damage.

What’s the cut schedule?
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB »

The loading is the key, how much pull/pressure is going to be called on? A body falling overboard, a dingy (not smart in open waters) or kids in tubes?

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Basic safety lines. Figure 200-400lb (distributed 2 ends so half at each end) as a point load. If I did the math right, physics would say you’re talking about 800lb shock load.

Most of that would be distributed by the glass across the whole frame. I’m not convinced about the glassing Boogie and I have discussed. Current plan is 2 layer 12oz biax. I think it will need another 2 layers in the joints. And I’m thinking another “inner ring” to further distribute the shock load across more of the structure.

But I may be enjoying the thinking a bit too much.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown »

Can't speak to boats but for fall protection the anchoring point must be rated to 5000lbs tensile load for a non-certified anchor or a certified anchor done by an engineer for calculated loads.
I'd ask JM.
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain