Homemade wooden pushpits?

Sail Boats 15' and up. Please include the boat type in your question.
Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Homemade wooden pushpits?

Post by Bogieman »

Thanks everyone. It's been sort of a fun little side project but there's too much debate about safety and rightfully so. I've decided to go with stainless steel.

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB »

Off the subject, checkout this place for sails. They are very helpful and nice to work with. They sell new (they loft them) and used sails. They can alter used sails too!

http://atlanticsailtraders.com/index.htm?new.htm~right

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Bogieman wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:37 pm Thanks everyone. It's been sort of a fun little side project but there's too much debate about safety and rightfully so. I've decided to go with stainless steel.
You sound like people back in the day that favored steel over wooden boats. :cry:

You Can always build your own handrails or something over the cabin roof, the causeway (what ever you call the opening to go into the boat) and things like that. I do agree it may not ne strong enough when it would need to be at it's strongest.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

Capt UB wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:37 am Off the subject, checkout this place for sails. They are very helpful and nice to work with. They sell new (they loft them) and used sails. They can alter used sails too!

Ohhhhh, good stuff! Thnk you, Capt UB

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

OrangeQuest wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:45 am
Bogieman wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:37 pm Thanks everyone. It's been sort of a fun little side project but there's too much debate about safety and rightfully so. I've decided to go with stainless steel.
You sound like people back in the day that favored steel over wooden boats. :cry:

You Can always build your own handrails or something over the cabin roof, the causeway (what ever you call the opening to go into the boat) and things like that. I do agree it may not ne strong enough when it would need to be at it's strongest.
Hi OQ! Yup, you are right. Figured the subject was a good one for the forum to decide. I do plan to make my own hand / grab rails for the cabin roof

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB »

In the book "This Old Boat" he shows a very cool way to make handrails. I did a set for a C22 and they worked out great. This is a page for someone else's homemade rails...

https://svskye.wordpress.com/2014/06/26 ... d-sawdust/

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

Capt UB wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:17 pm In the book "This Old Boat" he shows a very cool way to make handrails. I did a set for a C22 and they worked out great. This is a page for someone else's homemade rails...

https://svskye.wordpress.com/2014/06/26 ... d-sawdust/
Thank you, CaptUB! That is exactly what I had in mind.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

What does a piece of teak that size cost?
Tony

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

terrulian wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:05 pm What does a piece of teak that size cost?
Not sure about teak. I was thinking about laminating marine ply.

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

Capt UB wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:37 am Off the subject, checkout this place for sails. They are very helpful and nice to work with. They sell new (they loft them) and used sails. They can alter used sails too!

I just sent them the sail plan (Jacques' Chinese lug-the one in the AD16 plans) and asked for a quote. Thanks again.