Homemade wooden pushpits?

Sail Boats 15' and up. Please include the boat type in your question.
Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Homemade wooden pushpits?

Post by Bogieman »

Thanks for the info in the white oak. Both tillers are works of art.

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

Hi,
I made my tiller out of the okoume marine ply cut outs of the keel and laminated them the same way as the keel and then shaped it.

Rudder and tiller finished

That was on my boat building the best usage of plywood which I would have otherwise thrown away.

Maybe Tony could let us know what cover ( see through ? ) he has for his tiller and is it also on the tiller whilst sailing ? I have varnished my tiller and will have to do it again before spring time.
Greetings from Karl
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB »

My little 28.5 Irwin had a tiller, but was graphite composite.

That little Irwin was fun in heavy seas!

Sailing has a way of breaking things, through time or just hard weather. You just never know when the microwave will come loose and fly across the cabin! Build strong my friend.....

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

Nice looking Adelie pieces Karl.

CaptUB. I can't wait to get her out in the ocean and get her rock'n and roll'n.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

I am curious about these tillers that are laminated. You guys use epoxy or did you use a waterproof glue? Reason I ask is it is said that epoxy is strongest with a gap and forming the wood to shape I would think the force would squeeze out most epoxy leaving a very thin layer and what soaked into the wood. Most wood glues need compression and good penetration into the wood to form a strong bond.
Or should I just keep my thinking to myself? :)
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB »

OrangeQuest wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:52 am I am curious about these tillers that are laminated. You guys use epoxy or did you use a waterproof glue? Reason I ask is it is said that epoxy is strongest with a gap and forming the wood to shape I would think the force would squeeze out most epoxy leaving a very thin layer and what soaked into the wood. Most wood glues need compression and good penetration into the wood to form a strong bond.
Or should I just keep my thinking to myself? :)

You are right OQ. The shop that made my backup tiller (5' long), used wood glue not epoxy. My old (wooden) whisker pole was built the same way, very pretty, but heavy!

Well I Googled.... lots are made with epoxy, I know my backup was wood glue, but that was 25 years ago! The whisker pole was 80 years old when I got it and had it repaired.

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

I used polyurethane glue (Gorilla glue) on a tiller I laminated (mahogany/teak), but I'd think that epoxy would work as well.
Hank

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

I would think so too Hank. When I have neat epoxy that drips on an area that I am not ready to coat yet and have to sand it down I can see where the resin soaked down into the wood. To remove all traces of the epoxy I would have to sand away a considerable amount of wood away. I would even guess that the epoxy would increase the rigidity of the wood as a whole making the tillers stronger than the wood/glue alone.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

I used epoxy with wood flour mixed and left the 2 surfaces of the plywood rather rough and I made lots of dents with a pointed hammer into them from where the epoxy wood flour mxture could not get pressed out. In addition to that I did not press the plywood very hard with the clamps against the form giving jig blocks which were screwed to the table. I think it turned out as strong as if it were made of a solid hard wood block.
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

I used neat epoxy and didn't take Karl's precautions despite the wisdom of them. A few years now and no signs of delamination.
Karl asked:
Maybe Tony could let us know what cover ( see through ? ) he has for his tiller and is it also on the tiller whilst sailing
Generic sunbrella covers are available from many suppliers: https://www.shopsoundboatworks.com/36ti ... gKyk_D_BwE I don't keep it covered while sailing. That wouldn't be good for your grip, and besides, when are you going to show it off? The varnish hasn't deteriorated at all in several years--except for the occasional ding or scratch.

Capt UB says:
Sailing has a way of breaking things, through time or just hard weather.
Ahh, yes, and the wonder and mystery is that you don't even have to take the boat off the mooring for things to break. That happens by through magic of the sea.
Tony