Ar15 seat edge radius?

Sail Boats 15' and up. Please include the boat type in your question.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Ar15 seat edge radius?

Post by Jaysen »

I think you are over thinking this. Go find a cabinate shop and have them make you the edge radius you need. Should take them too much and you’ll get a quality corner. Should even be able to supply some beautiful white oak, mahogany or teak you can do as bright. Or supply the Meranti for them.

I know it’s a couple bucks but if you are concern about making it look right...
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB »

You could do this...

https://www.routerbitworld.com/Freud-85 ... 85-001.htm

85-001.jpg
85-001.jpg (5.46 KiB) Viewed 7952 times

Biney777
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Biney777 »

Jaysen wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:26 pm I think you are over thinking this. Go find a cabinate shop and have them make you the edge radius you need. Should take them too much and you’ll get a quality corner. Should even be able to supply some beautiful white oak, mahogany or teak you can do as bright. Or supply the Meranti for them.

I know it’s a couple bucks but if you are concern about making it look right...
:doh: well, of course I am over thinking it. That is what happens right before I over build it! :oops: :D I liked your idea about the mold tho, and just to try something new... I am going to use the leftover pvc as a mold and laminate the curve with strips of fiberglass tape. I will take some pictures and post how it works out. Worst case I waste some epoxy and learn another way how NOT to do something. That being said. (note to self) Order more epoxy and resin tomorrow...
Completed Danny Greene "Chameleon" a 10 1/2' nesting/rowing/sailing dinghy. Building an Alexa's Rocket 15 w/ optional retractable spinnaker pole.

Netpackrat
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Netpackrat »

Use the pipe as a mold (or mandrel), but don't split the pipe, use the whole thing. Lay up several layers of fiberglass tape around it in alternating spiral wraps; maybe finish with peel ply. After it has cured, cut the resulting tube into the sections you need and peel the PVC out of the interior.

Maybe start with the next size smaller PVC pipe than you currently have mocked up, since you'll be molding your radius sections around the outside diameter, and the radius may get bigger than what you want.

Here is a video showing a more complicated variation of the technique being used to mold a full tube for a mast step:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JO_-sbbBRBM

I was able to use this technique to make a fiberglass tube for my D5's mast step, but you wouldn't need to bother with the elaborate arrangement of plastic over the mandrel, because you are just going to split it anyway. As an alternate to peel ply, you could wrap it with shrink wrap and then perforate it to let the excess resin squeeze out like this guy did (you can skip to about the 3 minute mark to get to the relevant technique:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDU560doctY

I wasn't super happy with the quality of wood I was able to find for my spars, so I bought some of the fiberglass tube from Duckworks and sheathed them as shown in the video. I was very pleased with the result. The shrink wrap trick works.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Packrat has a good point. I would think that you MIGHT want to put a layer of cling wrap over the pipe too. If nothing else it will ensure you don't get mechanical bond between the pipe and any glass accidentally. It's a cheap way to make sure it all comes off easy.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

Jaysen wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:43 am Packrat has a good point. I would think that you MIGHT want to put a layer of cling wrap over the pipe too. If nothing else it will ensure you don't get mechanical bond between the pipe and any glass accidentally. It's a cheap way to make sure it all comes off easy.
or packing tape.
Hank

Netpackrat
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Netpackrat »

Additionally, I have found that epoxy absolutely will not stick to this stuff:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_tape

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/ ... 744&rt=rud

Biney777
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Biney777 »

Thank you Everybody!
For the great suggestions and even providing references to Utube videos and links to products! I am impressed and appreciate the help.
I think I have basically used all of the suggestions and combined them. I used the pvc as a mold, and stayed with plywood as the substance per the plans. It took several trys to figure out the proper cut width and blade angle. I think it will work well.
Let me know what you think?
"Pie" shaped plywood strips
"Pie" shaped plywood strips
Attachments
The inside view, with no fiberglass tape on it. Don't know that it needs it??? I put one layer of 6 oz tape on the outside.
The inside view, with no fiberglass tape on it. Don't know that it needs it??? I put one layer of 6 oz tape on the outside.
I used peel ply to keep resin glass ratio good, and then covered it with poly so I could apply pressure to the edges. The edges really wanted to  peel up.
I used peel ply to keep resin glass ratio good, and then covered it with poly so I could apply pressure to the edges. The edges really wanted to peel up.
A little weight to hold the edges down. I got shrink wrap today for the other 3 pieces I need.
A little weight to hold the edges down. I got shrink wrap today for the other 3 pieces I need.
Completed Danny Greene "Chameleon" a 10 1/2' nesting/rowing/sailing dinghy. Building an Alexa's Rocket 15 w/ optional retractable spinnaker pole.

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB »

Damn.... that looks great! Good job young man!
Somebody at work sent these to me this weekend.... Thought this was just the place to put them!
th.gif
th.gif (994.9 KiB) Viewed 7881 times
ath.gif
ath.gif (1.63 MiB) Viewed 7881 times

Biney777
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Biney777 »

Ha, thanks Capt. UB!