Larger VG

Sail Boats 15' and up. Please include the boat type in your question.
rick berrey
Active Poster
Active Poster

Larger VG

Post by rick berrey »

I know a larger VG would probable not generate the sales need to to justify the design . So over the years I have looked at scaling the VG26 by 10% . Looking at what went into the design I think it started as a VG27 and then scaled down . If I am right standing head room was a trade off when it came to sailing ability , and for standing head room 28' to 30' would have been perfered , so 10% would make the VG 26 a better sailing boat . But I want a little more than the 10% would give me , say 13% to 15% , I think a stright shaft diesel engine would easly fit that size range . But scaling over 10% brings a lot of unknowns with it , like would mast height need to be greater . Some things i have looked at are 10% + adding a skirt . Any input on pros and cons of scaling the VG26 over the 10% would be appreciated.

Netpackrat
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Larger VG

Post by Netpackrat »

Watching with interest, even if it is too big for my current circumstances.

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Larger VG

Post by piperdown »

Definitely a JM question and I suspect he will respond within a day or two.
I know nothing about boat design but when reading some of his responses anything past 10% requires new calculations and the associated changes.
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain