Dyneema for life lines vs stainless steel etc

Sail Boats 15' and up. Please include the boat type in your question.
Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Dyneema for life lines vs stainless steel etc

Post by Bogieman »

Thoughts about using Dyneema rope for sail boat life lines vs SS or other materials?

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Dyneema for life lines vs stainless steel etc

Post by OrangeQuest »

I switched both on our trailer winch straps to the dyneema rope due to lighter, stronger and easy to tie. You can push the rope back into itself to quickly form loops for hooks or anything you want to connect to the end of the rope. We use the 50 foot winch line to pull the canoe up the steep banks at times. I use thimbles on them. It tightens on the end of the rope when you put force on it like "Chinese finger cuffs". To untie you just push the outer part of the rope and pull the end back out. At least that is the way the ones I got from HF work. I also use it for all our block and tackle gear for pulling logs around. 1/4" line with 2000 pound load capacity. Only thing I worry about is how well it holds up to the UV so I keep it covered as much as possible. For my uses I like the dyneema rope a lot.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Oh, if you decide to use the dyneema line instead of SS then I would recommend learning how to "whip" the line if you don't know how already. Makes for a very strong way to terminate a line and is very clean looking.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Evan_Gatehouse
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Evan_Gatehouse »

I used it on our sailboat for 8 years on a circumnavigation. It stands up well to UV.

A simple tuck splice or a Brummel splice is the proper way to terminate. Whipping is just to stop the ends from fraying. With a splice you don't have any exposed ends. Tuck splices should be sewn through if there is a chance it could ever go slack (lifeline gates).

1/4" dyneema is about 6500 lbs breaking strength when new at the very low end. Much higher stuff strength is available but is overkill for lifelines.

Blog post I wrote about it:
http://maiaaboard.blogspot.com/2016/01/ ... r-fun.html
designer: FB11/GV10,11,13/ HMD18/
SK17,MM21/MT24

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB »

Evan_Gatehouse wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:02 pm I used it on our sailboat for 8 years on a circumnavigation. It stands up well to UV.

A simple tuck splice or a Brummel splice is the proper way to terminate. Whipping is just to stop the ends from fraying. With a splice you don't have any exposed ends. Tuck splices should be sewn through if there is a chance it could ever go slack (lifeline gates).

1/4" dyneema is about 6500 lbs breaking strength when new at the very low end. Much higher stuff strength is available but is overkill for lifelines.

Blog post I wrote about it:
http://maiaaboard.blogspot.com/2016/01/ ... r-fun.html

I have always used SS wire for lifelines. I had for years bought the covered wire, then one day at an end fitting it broke!! Could have been a bad.... I removed the covered wire and use just SS wire. That was fine...... If I could do it again, I WOULD NOT USE SS WIRE AGAIN.

I would go with dyneema and like Even said. Learn to do proper slicing and buy the right tools to do so!

Evan_Gatehouse
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Evan_Gatehouse »

well for the tuck splice in 1/4", the only tool you need is a metal coat hanger. Cut about a 12" long straight section.
designer: FB11/GV10,11,13/ HMD18/
SK17,MM21/MT24

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

Thank you for the input! Dyneema it will be.

topwater
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by topwater »

Go to Hamilton Marine on line and they sell 50' and 100' leftovers from bigger orders much cheaper than
normal. I picked some up for my flag pole a couple years ago much cheaper.
Novi 23 finally launched !

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

topwater wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:34 am Go to Hamilton Marine on line and they sell 50' and 100' leftovers from bigger orders much cheaper than
normal. I picked some up for my flag pole a couple years ago much cheaper.
:D