Vertical access panels

Please see our tutorials and FAQ before posting.
fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Vertical access panels

Post by fallguy1000 »

I am trying to plan some vertical access panels for locker spaces.

The material is foam core 12mm.

One of the lockers is sort of odd shaped. It is a smaller and lower locker space, but would be nice for tackle storage. The vertical space is 9.5" and the horizontal about 42". The space is subject to ingress from water on the cockpit from rain or a broaching sea, but I expect water over an inch unlikely. So I am planning a 2.5" sill.

There is little reason to build the access much wider than say 20". The depth of the cabinet is about 13", so nice for a tackle and downrigger locker.

I would like to make it lockable, so a flush mount locking latch is likely.

My questions are about edge finishing and sealing.

Any advice or pictures?

It is always a super pita to make a flush door look nice at the margins, but I don't know how to hinge a proud door.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Vertical access panels

Post by OrangeQuest »

fallguy1000 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:01 pm

My questions are about edge finishing and sealing.

Any advice or pictures?

It is always a super pita to make a flush door look nice at the margins, but I don't know how to hinge a proud door.
I am running into trying to get clean, straight, evenly spaced edges on my foredeck hatches now. It is not to noticeable right now but when they are finished the uneven gaps and edges will really stand out. It is even harder with the large rounded edges. (large for my build!)

Here is what I am thinking, with zero experience in the matter. I can sand the edges of the hatches themselves easy enough so I was going to start by truing up the hatches. Once those are done getting some 3/4" to 1" steel strapping used for banding loads to pallets/skids. I mount the hatches where they are going to go via the hinges. Form the steel banding around the edge of the hatch so I have a very straight edge. Steel strapping easily bends around corners. I go from outside edge of one hinge, around the hatch to the other hinge. I piece of strapping goes between the hinges. I then use epoxy filler to fill the space from the deck to the strapping. I could even use packing tape to make sure the epoxy filler doesn't stick to the strapping. When cured the strapping should come right off and leave a clean, straight edge with a very even gap.

I will be testing my theory in the next few weeks. I can keep you posted! Since no one else responded.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

I did get one person on another forum to suggest a backer behind my vertical panels. This is a good idea.

I understand the idea of creating a non-stick margin maker. Maybe like an 1/8th inch thick piece of teflon?

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

Glossie Black was just doing that on Skinny Dip, did you see how he did them? I'm sure there are good examples from older builds, too.
Hank

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

pee wee wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:51 am Glossie Black was just doing that on Skinny Dip, did you see how he did them? I'm sure there are good examples from older builds, too.
Thanks for the tip. I will check it out. Unfortunately, with so many flats and smaller boats vertical panels here are not the norm, so looking for them is sort of a waste of time.

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

A set of vertical access panels on Peter Curacao's boat:

Hank

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

pee wee wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:56 pm A set of vertical access panels on Peter Curacao's boat:

Those are nice. They probably would be hinged the other way by me. I would prefer they fall closed. Of ciurse this means you have to hold them up, but touche'.

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

If they opened the other way on Peter's boat, you would have to lay down to see in the compartment! Sometimes it is better one way than the other... :roll:

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Here is a article as to how wood worker would hang a door. https://www.woodmagazine.com/woodworkin ... nted-doors

Anyway you do it, it will be very time consuming.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Matt Gent
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Matt Gent »

Mine look just like Peter's, but are hinged sideways. And they are made from 1/2" ply, so no edge treatment to deal with.

Using foam core, I'd be tempted to make a temporary mold for the doors so you can get uniform edges, then cut the holes in the bulkhead to fit the doors.