Swift Canoe 16 build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
AtTheBrink
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Swift Canoe 16 build

Post by AtTheBrink »

After I complete a couple projects around the house I am finally going to build another boat. This time it's not for me, it's going to be a boat the kids can use in the canals behind the house and out in the Laguna. I think the SC16 is perfect for this. I am going to make the front deck a little longer and possibly delete the center thwart seat and put a small storage box with a grab rail there instead. It will be powered by a small outboard, 8 or 10 hp. We are going to build it in the backyard a once it's done slide her down the hill into the water. Should be a fun build, we'll see if the kids are any help. I haven't seen any other SC16s on here, I'll try to document it as best I can.
Mike

"Come, follow me and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Swift Canoe 16 build

Post by BB Sig »

I'm looking forward to your build! Good on you for attempting to involve the kids. :D

AtTheBrink
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by AtTheBrink »

They are excited. It should be fun. It's been almost 5 years since the last build. I am looking forward to putting my own twist on this one. Thinking about 4-6 inch gunwale caps down each side with rod storage underneath. The caps and rod holders will add in a lot of strength. Nice dry storage front and rear. I'll do hatches just like I did on my FS18.
Mike

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Looking forward to the build. I enjoyed following your widened FS18 one. Cape man has built a lovely lightweight SC16.
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

When you're done we will swap. Sounds like you're going to build s grownups SC16! How old are the kids? An 8 or 10hp will make it fly! 8)

Can't wait to see the project. Love mine. Perfect for tooling around but I always wonder how it would be if it really scooted. The center seat is structural and my bottom flexes without it. I used 4mm okume so you might fix that issue with thicker ply.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

AtTheBrink
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by AtTheBrink »

Hey Cape Man. My boy just turned 17 and my daughter who will eventually be using it is 13. I was thinking about using 4mm but hearing that you have some flex in the bottom I'll go with 6mm on the bottom.
Since I got you here and you have some experience with the boat, how does this sound. 6mm for the bottom panels, 4mm on the sides and 9mm for the decks and frames and transom lamination.

I'm going to go find your build page now.
Mike

cape man

Post by cape man »

Your ply thicknesses should work. She'll be fat but if they are running 20 mph with a 10hp you'll want her fat and strong. It's an easy hull and her lines are sweet. I went the opposite way. Light as possible and a very small outboard.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

cape man

Post by cape man »

AtTheBrink
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by AtTheBrink »

Thanks Cape Man! I searched for about an hour last night and couldn't find your build page. Thanks for the link.
Mike

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Opps! wrong post! :oops:
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne