Expanding epoxy foam?

Please see our tutorials and FAQ before posting.
piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Expanding epoxy foam?

Post by piperdown »

https://doc.jamestowndistributors.com/u ... 5.3.18.pdf

Water absorption <= 0.06 lbs/sq ft

Looks PU expanding foam has the ability to absorb water too, although I haven't looked at converting any numbers to percentages.
I haven't looked at the buoyancy numbers in detail but I don't think the epoxy foam is as buoyant as the PU foam.

I was only interested in it due to the slower expansion rate, but if it's not as buoyant I won't be using it.
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

They do make the statement that it could be used where you would use foam core or honeycomb.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Netpackrat
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Netpackrat »

The dude in the video wants to use it in his rudder, where the buoyancy would not necessarily be desirable anyway

TomTom
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by TomTom »

I recently did an experiment with PU 38 foam ... https://www.amtcomposites.co.za/product ... d-60-rigid

My results have me quaking at the knees...

I poured a sample in a bag and it weight 165 grams.

I then put a hole through it, threaded a string through the hole and submerged it in the pool attached to a dive weight.

It was about 6" below the surface for a month

It now weighs 724 grams...

Thats a lot of water absorption for "bouyancy" foam!!

A technician with AMT has suggested that by puncturing the hole through it, I broke the surface and allowed water to get in... and that had I not done that the results might be different.

This foam states it is closed cell so I thought that wasn't an issue.

Others have stated that if you allow the foam to contact a surface ... eg stringers and sole when pouring in hull, the layer in contact seals itself.

I am now thinking if I do use foam I will make sure that I pour it into the compartments with a temporary lid covered in PVC on the compartment and a vent hole. That way all sides of foam should "self seal" except at the vent, which I will paint with epoxy...

I still have massive doubts about PU foam and would love to hear more comments...

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Netpackrat wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 11:02 am The dude in the video wants to use it in his rudder, where the buoyancy would not necessarily be desirable anyway
Unless he loses his rudder a lot! 8O
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne