Radon Transom Replacement

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
BarraMan
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Radon Transom Replacement

Post by BarraMan »

For what its worth, I have a 250 4 stroke OB (560 lbs) on a 8" setback jackplate hanging off the transom of my boat. The transom is 2.5" thick and solid as a rock! :D

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

When you tear apart many factory boats it is amazing how they lasted so long. And then others are put together really well. I think many times it is just a crap shoot.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

I'm a little surprised no gusset on the transom top..

You might want to post that over on boatdesign.net and see what people say..

A top tab like that requires an awful lot of strength...because it acts like a cantilever; somewhat.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

bigtalljv
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bigtalljv »

fallguy1000 wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:58 pm I'm a little surprised no gusset on the transom top..

You might want to post that over on boatdesign.net and see what people say..

A top tab like that requires an awful lot of strength...because it acts like a cantilever; somewhat.
I’m not sure what you’re talking about?

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

AB5C5981-7EC2-48D5-AD0C-C95EB3724765.jpeg

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

How is that bracket built? Is it just glassed onto the outside skin? I built one like that but I carried the stringers through the transom and out to the bracket edge. That way the stringers were carrying the load and not the skin glass.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Fuzz wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:20 am How is that bracket built? Is it just glassed onto the outside skin? I built one like that but I carried the stringers through the transom and out to the bracket edge. That way the stringers were carrying the load and not the skin glass.
Yeah, he's gonna need that and maybe more for the gusset issue. Hard to tell from the picture.

bigtalljv
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bigtalljv »

Ok, I understand. Yeah, it’s not done yet :-) The new stringers will go all the way to the new transom. The old gray transom you see there will go away and a new bulkhead will be installed. If you look at the edge of the bracket you can see a little notch where the bulkhead will go. The new stringers will go all the way up to the “deck” of the extension so it will all be boxed in and supported every which way.

Yes, the new extension was glassed on to the hull. Ground the the old hull to a fairly long taper and I’ll do the same on the bottom when I flip it.

I glued up the stringers this past weekend, I’ll work on shaping them this week.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

That sounds like a good plan. Mine and several others have been built that way and held up so far. Anything less would concern me.

bigtalljv
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bigtalljv »

Fuzz wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:08 pm That sounds like a good plan. Mine and several others have been built that way and held up so far. Anything less would concern me.
Yep, I have a couple local examples of the same project on the same boat and then yours and all the other internet examples, I’m not terribly concerned…