Conchfish 16 build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
seaslug
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Conchfish 16 build

Post by seaslug »

My buddy Scott and I visited Jeff and Reid at their new facility and picked up materials for another Conchfish 16 build. Last year I helped my buddy Don build this same boat, and now I'm assisting Scott with his build. We haven't had much time to work on it, but it's just about ready to glass when we have time, possibly within a week or so. For those that have not followed either Don's build, or Travis's build, this is a Chris Morejon design, which was the original drawing for the Hell's Bay Whipray in 1997. Chris was one of the original founders of Hell's Bay, and was also the designer. His plans are easy to follow, really no different than Jacques plans, pretty straight forward. Not sure of the exact deck layout, but probably 3 hatches, all dry storage, with a false floor making it self bailing. Should come in around 300-350 pounds. Scott's not sure what motor he'll decide on, but I think a 30hp is plenty, since Don gets 28mph with a 25hp and a stock Aluminum prop. Mike
Attachments
IMG_4987.JPG
IMG_4986.JPG
IMG_4975.JPG
IMG_4970.JPG
IMG_4969.JPG
IMG_4966 (1).JPG
IMG_4964.JPG
IMG_4952.JPG
IMG_4929.JPG
IMG_4928.JPG
IMG_4925.JPG
IMG_4882.JPG
IMG_4881.JPG
IMG_4914.JPG
IMG_4877.JPG

silentneko
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Conchfish 16 build

Post by silentneko »

Chris Morejohn is the man!
Built: 15ft Skiff, 16ft Skiff, Modified Cheap Canoe, and an FS17.

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown »

I absolutely love watching your builds, even better helping out a friend!

Whats the purpose of the small patches of blue tape on the sides? To hold them tight before screwing them to the frames?
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Thank you for the update SeaSlug!!! Another great looking build!!! Jeff

silentneko
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by silentneko »

What material did you go with for the core?
Built: 15ft Skiff, 16ft Skiff, Modified Cheap Canoe, and an FS17.

seaslug

Post by seaslug »

The stations are 18" apart and the tape just helps keep the foam strips aligned while the glue sets up. We are using 3/4" Divinycell H80 and Corecell.

poleposition
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by poleposition »

I feel stupid asking this ( though that has never bothered me before ).....where the foam meets end to end, do you try and have the joint over a frame like you would do in woodworking ( edge of plywood centered on a 2 x 4 ), or does it make any difference?

Looking great so far....guessing you're not going to go w/ the keelets like Donnie did?

ctbeutel
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ctbeutel »

Keep posting updates. I hope to be starting one as well.
Owner of a FS18, completed FS12.

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid »

Seaslug,

Looks really good man!!! Were you able to reuse the molds from your previous builds or did you make new ones? Hope to see this build at the builder's meet in September!!! Better tell your buddy to reserve his room!

-Reid
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

seaslug

Post by seaslug »

The foam does not need to be joined over a station, it's just the core, and most of the stations are removed anyway. We plan on adding the little keels later after the hull is glassed. Would be too hard trying to glass around those things with all the other bends. Easy enough to glass those on afterwards. We don't have many hours in the build so far, but hope to find time to glass soon. Not sure if the boat will be ready for Jensen Beach in September, since we both still work for a living, and have limited time to work on the boat. We could have used Don's station molds, but It's fun to lay them out, and Scott wanted the experience anyway. Mike