Roman´s OB15 (First Time Builder)

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
RomanVilgut
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Roman´s OB15 (First Time Builder)

Post by RomanVilgut »

It has been a long time, since my last update. Autumn was cold, so I could not do a lot before winter. But spring began early. But I used the winter to think about the interior and how to place it. Since I want to use the boat in the Adriatic Sea and the Danube, I need a strong engine (which I already got). But we also have beautiful lakes in the alps. But if you are no millionaire, you cannot afford the license for a motorboat (e.g. 200k for the Woerthersee). But you need no licence, if you have an electrical motor under 4 Kilowatt (6hp). So I decided to make the boat more versatile. So I used the rest of the wood for the floor and put several screw threats in, then I glued it to the floor.
2206_Fortschritt5.jpg
After that, the boat was ready for the first layer of filler and primer. Here you can also see the many possible positions of the screws.
2206_Fortschritt4.jpg
My father-in-law gave me another idea. I could use the space on the side of the front deck as compartments. So I can put cushions on them which will make them nicer to lean on. I am bit struggling with the curve, so it is still kind of in the making. I think, I can at least make it look smoother with some filler. I also put hinges on the hedges. But my wife doesn´t like them, so I am thinking to use velcro strips (hook-and-loop) instead. I have also use them in my van and they are strong as hell...
2206_Fortschritt2.jpg
With the screws in place, I also had to rebuild the bench and make it a bit wider. I wanted to use larch wood for the construction, but wood-prices went crazy, so I ended up with spruce, but I bought impregnated spruce wood, which is water-resistant and then put the plywood on the wooden construction. I know, it adds to the weight of the boat, but it is also very stable. And thanks to my versatile construction, I can change the layout later.
2206_Fortschritt1.jpg
I try to build a kind of chair on my own. But what´s bothering me, is that I am standing quite in the back of the boat. I don´t know yet, if the weight of the motor plus my ~190 pounds will bring the boat in a not so good balance. But I can still can move everything further to the front. But this will be done, when the boat is finished and I can test it.
2206_Fortschritt3.jpg
I also already bought the clamps and handrails and the anchor.
2206_Fortschritt6.jpg
The next big step is buying the trailer and getting the boat out of the stable and onto the trailer. After that, the boat gets its coating and then I can boot a small electric-motor on it and try it on one of the alpine lakes. At least, that´s the plan for the summer. Fuel-motor, stearing, lights, electric and stuff will be the job for the autumn and winter, so that I can get the certificate (which is needed for handbuild boats) in spring.

I keep you posted.

RomanVilgut
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by RomanVilgut »

I will start this post with an advise, that a friend of my brother gave me. Hi teaches future engineers at the local collage in Villach, the city I grew up, not far away from the place, where my boat is being build. He sad: "The first thing a technician has to think about, when he builds a machine: How to get it out of the workshop and to the place, where it should go!"

Well... I am no technician... I am a writer, so I did not think about this things, when I startet building. That´s why I needed the help of my brother and his friends from the local boxing-club.

Because it was finally time, to get the boat out of the barn and on a trailer. The problem: To get the boat to the trailer, we had to make kind of an u-turn. The barn was build some hundred years ago and at this time, there was some sort of street to get to the barn. This street is long gone and the barn opens into the garden of my parents-in-law. To make things worse, the actual street was on the other side of the garden and there is a narrow part between two hedges where the boat had to be turned on the side. And the cherry on top of the cake: My Parents-in-Law life vis-a-vis to the local pup of this small village. So we had many viewers.

Who where we we. Myself, my brother and four of his friends from boxing-Club. We used some old mattresses as a slide my father-in-law had in the barn. He also helped or at least tried to reduce the harm to his garden ...

My mother-in-law made some Pics...
boat_action2208_1.jpg
boat_action2208_2.jpg
boat_action2208_3.jpg
boat_action2208_4.jpg
After that, I needed some days to rest my mind. But with the boat on the trailer I could go on with the painting. The console and bench can be unmounted, I painted them in the barn. But the boat I painted on the trailer. I am still not finally done. But the first picuteres look good.
boat_color1.jpg
boat_color2.jpg
So for now I am back at work, but the next steps are clear. Finish the paint, put on the clamps and handrail, borrow a 12-volt-motor and get her in the water for a first testrun.

I can´t wait...

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice work!!!! Jeff

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

I am sure you have heard the saying "many hands make light work" In your case having all those people to help made it possible to do the job :D Very interesting build, we will be looking forward to seeing on the water pictures.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

The OB15 is a very nice small boat may you enjoy if tor many years. You have done a very nice job. :D Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

RomanVilgut
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by RomanVilgut »

Yesterday was a big Day for my OB15. I am not the most practical guy, when it comes to motors. So the last weeks a friend helped me to get the motor running. The boatlcould stay at his house for the time. Meanwhile I installed clamps (I bought them too small...) , anchor and stuff and did some repairs with the painting (it fell to the ground while putting it on the trailor). But when all was finished it was ready for a TESTRUN :D

So we drove to the river nearby (Mur, Austria), where you can boat between to hydropowerplants. My friend also took his boat, so we had a backup, if something goes wrong... But what is a backup for, if you don't use it... we were so thrilled after we put the boat in and started the motor and simply took it for a first test... my wife would say "Men!!! typically!" :lol: Because of course afterma view meters the motor went out... We were so wise to take a paddle with us and paddled to shore, where we sexured the boat to a tree until we got back running and drove to the dock... I hope this w s a onetime experiance.

We then cleaned the carbs and made the next testrun with two boats. And it worked. The carbs are not perfectly adjusted, so the throttle was kind of ruff. First ithwas running slow and after I reached a certain point it went "rooaaar" and unleashed the 50 HP at once. I really had to hold on the steering wheel. But it was a hell of ride, the boat handles really well, I had a lot of fun driving it (and a lot of adrenaline). I made 47 kmh (29mph) up the river. The Motor needs some finetuning, but it works.

The boat still needs lights and stuff to get it's expertise (needed in Austria). I will make this through winter and hopefully finish in spring.
signal-2022-10-04-16-51-46-974.jpg
https://youtu.be/6XyXuc5Dx1w

https://youtu.be/_ZY3JSBIMjY

https://youtu.be/c3xG6RW_oIE

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

Great! She moves at a good clip too!

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Boat does look good! Love to see the U-tubes videos of it running.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Very nice, she will last you a long time and you will enjoy her for that time. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

RomanVilgut
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by RomanVilgut »

Spring came with some not so nice surprises. After 15 years in my company the management decided to hide their mistakes by getting rid of some of the staff. Since I was the only one in my department with no child, it hit me. But 15 years in one company leaves you with a high knowledge of the inner workings of the company. So I had a good negotiating position and did get a golden handshake. And 22 years of experiance in Communication also pay of. One month after I left, I started my new Job at University Graz.

But I had one free month. And I used it to speed up my work with the boat. I got help from a friend of mine, who also had build a boat and is really good with the old 2-strokes.

So 1st thing: Get the motor running smooth. We found the problem. It was the carbs. My friend also has a Johnson and has 3 scrap-motors for spare parts. So we took a different carb and voila - it worked. Ok, it now has 40 HP insteat of 50 HP. Still enough for the boat.

We also reworked the console. I did not like my original design, so we made it smaller and constructed a high chair. Then came electrics.
52824240523_00e66a35a8_k.jpg
52842129027_06a96c2f1c_k.jpg
Then came the hour of truth. Together with my wife, we put her in the water. And boy, it was FUN!
52893745792_6a26009848_o.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGDJEiQVuUg

The Boat makes 45 km/h (28 mph) upriver and 50 km/h (31 mph)downriver. It is realy good to navigate and takes wake-waves very easy.

So now everything works as it should, the final things to do is all the paperwork. I now need an expertise and also need to make sure, that battery and tanks are not moving so much, have to finde a place for all the safety-equipment and then maybe make some adjustments for the anchor and stuff.

All nothing too hard, but it still needs time. And I already started my new job. And also finding the right guy for the expertise is not that easy in a country with no connection to the sea... But I will get there!