Roman´s OB15 (First Time Builder)

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Roman´s OB15 (First Time Builder)

Post by Bogieman »

She is looking very nice! Good luck as you dream and plan during your boat building off season.

Bogie

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

RomanVilgut wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:30 am I am not a fisher, the boat will be a pleasure craft for my wife and me
The later may change the former....... it's hard to know the future :)

Your boat is looking great!

Edit: I am not awake yet, I read "I am not a father"..... my comment was funnier in that context but could still be true about fishing :)

Rtorres2411
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Rtorres2411 »

Nice looking boat 8), it brings me memories of when I started my OB.

Ruben

RomanVilgut
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by RomanVilgut »

Wintertime in Austria. No Chance to work on the boat. But then I found a used motor on the internet, just 30 kilometers (18 miles) from home. The vendor thought a cylinder was gone and wanted 250 Euro (275 USD). It is a Johnson 50VRO, 2-stroke from 1987 with remote control.

Together with a friend of mine we drove half an hour to the place. The Motor was mounted to a rubber boat. The vendor said, it starts, but in the water, it did not have the power it used to have. So we started the motor, there was no problem, we checked the ignition, no problem, we even checked the compression - 125 and 130 psi. And although I wanted a motor that is not that heavy (85kg/190lbs), I took it. The price was to tempting.

Our first impression: We think it is the fuel pump. The motor looks good. So we are going to clean the carb, exchange the oil, the old tubes etc. So I found myself something to work on in the winter...

I hope we get it running again. It would save me a lot of money.
johnson50vro_1.jpg
johnson50vro_2.jpg

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Good find!!! Jeff

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

The VRO system on those motors are a known weak point. Most people will remove it and go to premix gas. Lots of info on the net.

RomanVilgut
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by RomanVilgut »

Yeah, we also think thats the main Probleme, hopefully!

RomanVilgut
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by RomanVilgut »

Winter brought nearly no snow so far. But the temperatures are still cold. But I still could use the days after christmas for the boat and made some sketches with ideas for the flor-layout.

My ob15 will mainly be a pleasure-boat for the summer in croatia, carinthia and the danube river. So my idea is, to make it comfortable. I really would like to make it possible to create a flat surface between two benches for lying in the sun using some kind of flaps mounted on the bench-frames with a hinge.

I have made 4 different designes. I am not good at sketching and my handwriting is ugly, sorry for that.

Layout 1
BootLayout1.jpg
This layout very much sticks to the plan. After the engine bay comes a bench with two fuel-tanks and a center-console with the battery inside. In front of the center-console is not a seat, but a bench. The Bench and the forward-seat provide a lot of storage-room. There are aprox. 68 centimeter (2,2 foot) between bench and forward-seat. If I manage to create a flat-surface with some flaps, it would be nearl 190 centimeter (6,2 foot) long. This layout has the advantage, that I would not neet much tubes for cabels from the console to the engine. But I have some doubts about the weight. The engine weights about 90 kg (200 pounds), the full fuel-tanks will add another 40 kg (88 pounds), I also weight 90 kg (200 pounds). This adds to 220 kg (488 pounds) at the rear. Is this to much or can the ob15 carry this weight on the rear?

This in mind I made Layout 2

BootLayout2.jpg
Here i put the fuel-tanks under the forward-seat and reduce the rear-bench to a seat. This way I can reduce the weight at the rear to 180 kg (400 pounds). Negative effekt: I will need a tube from the forward-seat to the engine-bay for the fuel pipes and 180 kg still sounds alot.

So I tried to think outside the box and came up with another idea, that I really like. But I don´t know, if it can be done on the ob15

Layout 3
BootLayout4.jpg
Here I put the console (and myself) to the front. I raise the forward-seat, to make a complete forward-deck from frame B to the front. I combine the console with frame b. I even could install a wind-shield. I still have two benches and hopefully can create a flat surface with flaps. The fuel-tanks are under the rear-bench, the large forward-deck provides a lot of storage. I put the console in the center for the balance. Since I am on the front of the boat, I can reduce the weight on the rear to 130 kg (288 pounds) which sounds reasonable. But I wonder, can this layout really be made? Or is there some problem, that I don´t see?

I really would love to read your opinion.

RomanVilgut
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by RomanVilgut »

So, spring has finally come and I had some time for the OB15. It was time for the first coat of primer. But first, there was filling and sanding. Lots of sanding ...
2003_primer1.jpg
2003_primer2.jpg
2003_primer3.jpg
When it looked ok to me, I painted it with 1,5 Liter (0,4 gal) primer. It lasted for two coats.
2003_primer4.jpg
It looks really nice from the far view. But when I look closely I can clearly see, there has to be a little more filling and sanding and then at least another coat of primer.
2003_primer5.jpg
When I am finished with priming, it would be ready for turning. But I wonder, should I not also paint the hull before I turn it? Of course, there might be some damage to the paint, while doing the inside. But is correcting those damages later not easier, then painting the hull when flipped?

Also regarding the rub rail. What wood should I choose? And how is it fixed to the side, with screws or glued with epoxy?

Capfish1
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Capfish1 »

Looking good!