Roman´s OB15 (First Time Builder)

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Rtorres2411
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Roman´s OB15 (First Time Builder)

Post by Rtorres2411 »

Looking great. The fairing of the hull is a tedious process, sand on.

Just to give you an idea of how the boat floats here is a picture of mine on the first float test. The engine weighs 230 pounds and the 12 gallon fuel tank is under the front bench.
Attachments
8D37D9DD-5B7A-4C77-BF0E-AD2B010185A4.jpeg
8D37D9DD-5B7A-4C77-BF0E-AD2B010185A4.jpeg (113.48 KiB) Viewed 1685 times

RomanVilgut
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by RomanVilgut »

Thank you for thr picture. It realy helps.

Since the boat is in the barn of my parents in law, building is on hold for a longer time. Our government encouraged us to stay at home, so I am in homeoffice right now. We also would never endanger my parents in law, both above 60.

I am a journalist by profession, so I also read alot of US-media. When I read about young people partying at springbreak, I think you are making the same mistakes, we made. Through february here in Europe we were thinking, it is a chinese problem. Even with first cases in Italy, there were still Apres-Ski-Parties. And one infected barkeeper at one bar infected many Partyguests, tourists from all over europe. I fear the same could happen to the US.

So be prepared - mentally - for what there is to come. Protect the elderly people, help each other but keep the distance. The good thing in free societies: In times of crises we stand together. The sun always sets, evev after a dark night.

best wishes from Austria

RomanVilgut
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by RomanVilgut »

Things are getting normal here in Europe. So the last few weeks I could go back on working on the boat again. I did more sanding and filling. But I had to realize, that I am not the prefect craftsman. There are some spots, that are not perfectly even. But as I see it: It is my boat, build with my own hands. That´s something to be proud of.
2006_ground.jpg
2006_ground2.jpg
After sanding priming it the 4th time, my wife said, I developed a strange passion for sanding and priming. So I decided, the hull is ready for some color. In the city near the house of my parents-in-law is a color-factory, where I could buy my colors. It is ivory (RAL 1014) for the bottom and brown-red for the side (Ral 3011). I had 4 layers of primer, 2 layers of ivory and for the side another two layers of brown-red.
2006_color.jpg
2006_color2.jpg
So, the next big step is turning the boat. My idea is keeping one of the molds (nr. 4) in the boat and securing the side with straps.

The next step would be glassing the inside. Here I have a question. The OB15 has horizontal stringers. Should I glue them on before glassing the inside or after glassing?

Stay safe!

RomanVilgut
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by RomanVilgut »

I could manage to work four days in a row on the boat. On one day a friend of mine came to help me with the glass.

But first I had to turn the boat. It lies on some old mattresses. had help from my nephew and father in law. I turned it with the molds inside, mainly because I glued the molds to the boat at some places 8O :lol:
2007_turn1.jpg
Once turned it was no problem to get rid of the molds and i could start glassing the keel and the inside of the chines.
2007_glass1.jpg
2007_glass2.jpg
I had very view bubbles, which i filled later with a syringe.

I also startet glueing the rubrail and protected the outside with a foil.

Friend of mine came and we did the main job: Glassing the Inside.

Working together, we could do it in five hours.
2007_glass3.jpg
2007_glass4.jpg
2007_glass5.jpg
After cutting the edges, I could not help it and boarded my boat for the first time. It was a really great feeling!
2007_glass6_1.jpg
In september I have another week reserved only for the boat. I hope I can do the stringers and the two constructive frames on some weekends. In september I will make the foam. Since I decided to do a middle-bench, i can put all cables above ground and won´t need tubes.

But regarding the foam. For me it is difficult to find out, which one is the right one. In Europe they are not really labeled "flotation foam". After reading a lot about foam and how water can get into it, it did become sceptical. Then I found a foam, which could work. But I would like to hear your opinion

https://www.yachtshop24.com/epages/6329 ... ts/126.338

It is a german website. But I have a pic of the description.
schaum.jpg
Is this the right foam?

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Congratulations on the flip! That is always a big step to get done. Having help for the big glass jobs sure is nice.
You boat looks good as does your glass work. From what you posted the foam seems to be the right stuff but it is hard to know for sure.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

The first sentence in the GB section indicates that it is correct. Specifically
* closed cell
* floatation
Jeff might ask Jacques to weigh in on the density specifications but I’m pretty sure that foam will do the job.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Rtorres2411
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Rtorres2411 »

Looking great. It’s nice seeing another OB being built.

Ruben

RomanVilgut
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by RomanVilgut »

Thanks a lot! Your positive reactions really motivate me!

cape man

Post by cape man »

That foam would be listed as 3 pound foam here (50kg/m3 = 3.2lb/ft3). Perfect for what you are doing.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman