Roman´s OB15 (First Time Builder)

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Roman´s OB15 (First Time Builder)

Post by piperdown »

jacquesmm wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:18 am Don't worry too much about that camber, you can build without it.
The idea is that when bending the plywood close to the bow, the ply will assume a conical shape.
That works well with Okume plywood, not so much with stiffer ply. In all cases, do not worry if the plywood does not fit perfectly to the molds close to the bow. Let it take a natural shape. Try for fairness first.
Your jig looks good, keep posting please.
JM, hopefully you will see the pictures of the tape on the chine and weigh in.
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

I sent Jacques a note. I am sure he will review and comment soon. Jeff

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

12 oz, (400gr/m2) biaxial should take a turn around a radius of about 12 mm. You need a bubble roller like this:
https://boatbuildercentral.com/wp/prodd ... _1%2F2_3in
or use plastic squeegees like this:
https://boatbuildercentral.com/wp/prodd ... E_spreader

It will take time and patience but it should work.
You will have some air bubbles, grind them off. If there are two many, add a 2nd layer of tape.

It is important to start with a radius around all corners, fiberglass will never make a sharp turn without bubbles.
Later, you will build a sharp chine angle with a putty made from resin and milled glass or silica.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

Here is an example from my project,

After gluing the panels together, and sanding the excess glue off, the corner was too sharp, much too sharp for glass tape or wide cloth to lay over without creating bubbles and problems,

So I rounded the corners down to about a 1/2" radius,

With it rounded over like that, the tape laid down nicely (except in the corner where it is folded over which I expected to have to sand anyways)

Here is another good picture of how it is rounded over and how the tape and wide cloth laid over it smoothly,

I rounded over the chines as well, even though I wanted them sharp when done,

So once the tape and wide cloth was on, I was able to build the corner back up to a sharp point like I wanted using thickened epoxy,

And here is the final result after the graphite coating has been applied, you can see the edges are sharp, even though I started with very rounded edges for the glass to lay over,

hopefully that makes sense?

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown »

That's a fantastic example narfi!!!
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

It is important to do the same thing on the inside as well, but instead of sanding down to a radius, you have to add a 'fillet' of thickened epoxy to create an inside corner with a 1/2" radius so that the tape and wide cloth will lay nicely into the corners.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Narfi your last post should be a sticky on how to form the chines!

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Very nicely done Narfi!
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

RomanVilgut
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by RomanVilgut »

Ok. I see the mistake I made. So my next steps should be sanding away the bubbles, make a round corner and then glass the corner of the chine with a second layer of tape?

Then I can glass the whole outside and after that, i rebuild the sharp corner of the chine. Right?

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

RomanVilgut wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:56 am Ok. I see the mistake I made. So my next steps should be sanding away the bubbles, make a round corner and then glass the corner of the chine with a second layer of tape?

Then I can glass the whole outside and after that, i rebuild the sharp corner of the chine. Right?
Correct.

I have made lots of mistakes and it can be frustrating, but you figured it out early and when you are done it will just be a good story to tell, no one looking at your boat will ever guess any mistakes were made.

Post lots of pictures and share your journey here with us. The people on this forum are great and can help with advice and learning along the way.

This method of construction is great because any mistakes can just be sanded off and corrected. When done you will have a great boat you can be proud of.