Roman´s OB15 (First Time Builder)

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
RomanVilgut
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Roman´s OB15 (First Time Builder)

Post by RomanVilgut »

I could carve out 5 days for the Boat. So it was time for the foam - I bought the one, I´ve shown before. It was not cheap, but delivery was quick. So for all the European builders: you can buy this one from yachtshop24.

Before I began with the foam, I put in the frames and the horizontal stringers. But especially the forward stringer did not bend completely down to the hull. When I used heavy weights, they slid of. At least, the forward stringers made enough contact to hold. But I decided to use also use some foam in the forward section, to fill the gaps.
2009_schaum2.jpg
2009_schaum3.jpg
2009schaum6.jpg
I must admid, I would not have thought, that the foam worked this good. I put aprox. 10 KG (2,6 Gallons) in the boat. At some spots, that was a little bit too much. So I had to cut some of it away. Since i am using a bench in the middle section I desided, to hide all the cables go under the side-deck or with a cable trough on the side. So the foam will be covered in full by the floor and there will be no penetration, that could give way for water to get under the floor.

After foaming I had some time left, to build some "interior" and cut the floor in the right dimensions. I have to admid, my meassuring was a little bit sloppy. So there are some spots, that do not quite fit yet and need some further attention and I will raise the console a bit. But overall I am quite happy with the way, the boat looks.
2009schaum4.jpg
2009schaum5.jpg
2009schaum7.jpg
In October I have another 4 days reserved for the boat, where I will make all the taping and the hatches in the forward seat and the motorwell. I read a lot of stuff in English and also think, that I am also good in speaking English (not in writing though). But I tried to read the Seaslug's Hatch Making Method https://forums.bateau2.com/app.php/page ... 30fc42d724 - and I don´t really understand, what to do.

Does somebody have kind of a photo-documentation? It would really help, thx.

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

Boats looking good! :lol:

That is a tough read! :? Coach followed Seaslugs instructions and posted pictures:

https://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.ph ... ng#p476284

See if that helps!

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Just to make sure did you glass the stringers and bulkheads in before you poured the foam?

RomanVilgut
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by RomanVilgut »

I glassed the stringers... thought the bulkheads get glassed when the floor is in, since only a small part is under foam. 8O

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

All of that stuff should have been glassed in before the foam. The foam sticks like a tiger but I am not sure it will make up for not glassing in the bulkheads. I think I would run this by JM in the top section. That way he will see it as he does not always monitor the threads here.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

NO! Please, do not think the job of the glass tape is to glue parts together. It does that but the tabbing is part of the structure. For example, the glass tape along the stringers creates a long fiberglass beam. Without it, the boat will fall apart.
The fiberglass tape and the overlaps are the skeleton of the boat.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

RomanVilgut
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by RomanVilgut »

Ok... How should i proceed. As said, the stringers are glassed. Is it now necessary to remove the foam at the bulkheads? Or will taping the side-parts of the bulkhead and the part where the foam is give enough strengh to the boat?

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

I may have misunderstood because of some replies.
The outside looks superb, great job.
Let's talk about what must be done before the foam, just as I describe on the plans:
- all inside tabbing must be done along the chines, transom and bow. I think I see that in the pictures, it looks fine. No problem there.
- you installed a layer of wide fabric on the inside: not necessary, not on the plans but not a bad option but it should have been done after stringers installation. It will be a little heavier but stronger. Still fine.
- in the next picture, I see parts of the stringers under some foam. You asked about the stringer not being in full contact with the hull and that worries me. Those stringers must be properly glued to the hull. It should have been done before the inside fiberglass. It is easy to fiberglass over them but that is why I do not specify inside glass: it is difficult to do it properly.
If the stringers are properly epoxy glued over the inside glass, it will be almost as good as glued to the plywood of the hull.
You say that there is a gap forward. I could explain better if we had pictures before the foam.
I am almost certain that the rear part of the stringers is properly welded to the hull skin. For the forward part that tries to lift, you should have used weights to push them down.
Keep in mind that the tabbing of the sole to the stringers, all around, is important for the hull stiffness. If, in some place, that sole is welded to a stringer that wants to move up and down, the foam will break etc.

What do we do now?
We should fill that gap with epoxy putty, not with foam.

It is not difficult to do. You can cut the foam where you know there is a gap , remove the foam from the gap with a saw blade and pour epoxy putty in it.

I am guessing at this point because I don't know how larger that gap is, how deep, how long, where?
Tell me were that gap is and how deep is it?
Do you have pictures of the gap?
Besides that, your construction is great and maybe I worry too much about your sentence:
But especially the forward stringer did not bend completely down to the hull. When I used heavy weights, they slid of. At least, the forward stringers made enough contact to hold. But I decided to use also use some foam in the forward section, to fill the gaps.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

More for Roman:
- please tell me as much as possible about that gap . If it is just a 10 cm tip of the stringers lifting up, we can live with it but not if the gap goes all the way to the mid seat frame.
- is it the first layer or the 2nd one? Probably the 1st layer but I want to be certain.

RomanVilgut
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by RomanVilgut »

Wow, thank you for the long answer. First the good news: The Gap is aprox 2-3 cm at most. It is at the first layer of the stringer. on the forward section between frame a and b - but nearer to frame b. Sry, I have no picture of it. There were no gaps on the rear part, so the rear stringer should be fine

So, next time will remove the foam under the gap and fill it with epoxy putty. And then I will make shure, the floor i properly taped to the stringers, bulkheads and the hull.

Thanks for the help!