puzzle joint jig

Please see our tutorials and FAQ before posting.
Tungsten
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

puzzle joint jig

Post by Tungsten »

looking to build one,have an idea of what would work.Has anyone made a jig for a router?

Tungsten
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: puzzle joint jig

Post by Tungsten »

Doesn’t seem to be much info around. Probably need a cnc template made from aluminum to get it to work.being a little off won’t quite work.

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

It's not puzzle joints but its close.
http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/06/how ... /index.htm

The precision required scares me. BBC has a cnc for their puzzle joints. The time and effort makes the BBC puzzle joints worth buying.

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB »

BBC and JM tested different puzzle joint sizes and shapes to get it right! I've built two hulls now with puzzle joints, they have it down now. You can order their 4x8 ply with puzzle joints cut, maybe better then homemade. Of course if you are too far to ship to...

The cutting is the easy part, lining up the cut would be the hard part so the parts fit...

Tungsten
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Tungsten »

Ya I’m too far away. Have to doit my self. May just go with a scarph as I’ve done a few before. Thought a puzzle template would be faster but may be to difficult to get to line up.

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB »

Tungsten
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Tungsten »

Ya I’ve read that,thinking that if it’s covered in biax anyway it’s strong enough.No doubt there’s not enough glue surface on a puzzle or finger joint compared to a scarf. Different if your building a bright boat with only 6 oz over it I guess. Scarf it is then.

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

Tungsten wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:59 pm Ya I’m too far away. Have to do it my self.
Just a thought, you might live near a place with a CNC machine that would do the work for a reasonable charge. CNC machines are all over the place now, and many cabinet shops have them.
Hank

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

The puzzle joint must be very accurate to work. You need a gap between the male and female parts. That gap varies in function of the plywood thickness.
I tested them at 5 thousands of one-inch intervals and it made a difference. Too tight and you can't join them, too loose and the panels don't align properly.
You can't get that kind of precision with a jig.

Plain fiberglass splices work very well but the advantages of the puzzle joints are that the panels line up perfectly and that the seam is strong enough by itself to move the assembled panels around during assembly.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

kiwi
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by kiwi »

As an experiment when I built my canoe I used a butt joint, epoxy glued. I have witnesses who saw me pick up those 4.5 metre planks by the end and wave them about in the air. The secret? Let the glue dry.

Nowadays with ply my favorite is a half lap splice.
Editor in chief
amateurboatbuilding.com