C19 in Richmond, VA

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: C19 in Richmond, VA

Post by VT_Jeff »

Dan_Smullen wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:26 am
VT_Jeff wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:45 pm Boy that picture of the router setup is worth 1000 words! Did you need to vary the "depth" at all as you went around? The results in the photo look great.
Yes. Varied the depth. Actually went a little too deep in some spots that I’m in the process of filling with goo. A bit with radius corners would have been ideal. Even at the right depth there was some sanding and cleaning up afterwards.
Yeah, that's exactly what I was wondering, if you were cutting into the side panel with the bit. But I'm guessing that's better/easier fix than being too shallow and needing to cleanup with a shoulder plane or a chisel or something along those lines. You can't spell "good" without 'goo".
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

VT_Jeff wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:35 am
Dan_Smullen wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:26 am
VT_Jeff wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:45 pm You can't spell "good" without 'goo".
You always mange to hit the nail right on the head. I can't spell "good enough" without "goo!"

Rmarsh
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Rmarsh »

Looking really good. Anchor hatch came out nice.
I love working with Spanish cedar. Made a pair of exterior doors for a town library with some not to long ago....good stuff.
Have you come to any decisions on paint or paint colors? I know there's a lot more sanding and prep...but looks like you're getting close to that stage

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

Rmarsh wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:26 am Looking really good. Anchor hatch came out nice.
I love working with Spanish cedar. Made a pair of exterior doors for a town library with some not to long ago....good stuff.
Have you come to any decisions on paint or paint colors? I know there's a lot more sanding and prep...but looks like you're getting close to that stage
Thanks! I love the cedar. Super light and fun to work with.

Actually feel like I’m getting close on sanding. I rolled on a good layer of micro spheres, then a layer of fairing compound. Sanded, and the. Skimmed any low spots. Sanded again, and I think about half of the sides are ready for primer. Will flood coat the sole and skip the fairing compound.

For paint, I’d like a flat gray for the sole and sides. Maybe Parker Duck Boat paint. Same stark white Alexseal I used on the bottom I’ll use on the deck. Kind of hell bent on Stars and Stripes blue for the hull above the waterline.

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

For mineratt, 1/2 of the side decks glassed. Tempted to add another layer just because. We’ll see.
Attachments
D40D7870-30A5-4791-A890-198C61AB1C94.jpeg
BF35697A-DFF4-4E32-80A5-D1E5D789ACBC.jpeg

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

I have some brand new casters if u r interested. I bought a bunch and no use.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

fallguy1000 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:37 pm I have some brand new casters if u r interested. I bought a bunch and no use.
I don't follow, FG. Wheels?

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Yeah, wheels for the strongback.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Dan_Smullen wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:35 pm
fallguy1000 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:37 pm I have some brand new casters if u r interested. I bought a bunch and no use.
I don't follow, FG. Wheels?
So you don't need to roll your strongback on pipes like ancient Egyptians building pyramids. I susoect you have casters, but the photo looks medeviel.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

mineratt
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mineratt »

Dan_Smullen wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:27 pm For mineratt, 1/2 of the side decks glassed. Tempted to add another layer just because. We’ll see.
Dan, thank you for the picture. I wanted to try to fully encapsulate the rub rail with glass while it was upside down but I just could not do it with the 12 oz biax tape. I got the side of the boat tied to the underside of the rub rail then had to trim off the rest of the tape as it completely lifted off. I did go back and add two layers of 2 oz cut strips to provide a little protection when i flip it over. I was trying to attack it while it was upside down to control the drips. But I like how yours looks, I like how it ties the deck to the sides of the rub rail. I am thinking that seam will be under some pretty good stress with rod holders, cleats, peopling sitting on it, etc. When i get to this stage I think I will do what you are doing.