C19 in Richmond, VA

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: C19 in Richmond, VA

Post by Dan_Smullen »

cracked_ribs wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:42 pm It really is a great feeling! From "a hull I am working on" to "a boat I need to finish." Makes it much more satisfying to stand in and make motor noises.
:lol: Exactly!
VT_Jeff wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:53 pm "2 layers of 1/2" rather than one layer of 3/8","

Un-yielding indeed! Will make a nice, walk-able gunnel and safegaurd against those pesky, unintentional piling hits.
Definitely prepared to bounce off of some bridge pilings. That's where the fishies live!

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

Life and side missions exposed cracks in my resolve to build on, but after a few hours on a completed BBC project compliments of VT Jeff, my resolve is renewed!

This forward hatch was right in the way of progress. I didn't feel like I keep keep glassing toward the transom leaving this opening untouched. Perhaps a case of paralyzation by analyzation, but nevertheless, early attempts at hatch gutter molding failed, leaving me stranded and incomplete. See below...

A vacation, home projects, and a busy few months at work later, armed with fresh knowledge from YouTube University, I reworked the gutter design, grabbed a gallon of professional grade laminating polyester resin, molded the hatch itself and and took a second stab at an MDF mold.

The trick this time was to neat coat the MDF so it could be sanded smooth rather than just sanded fuzzy. Sanded it smooth to 120. Sprayed with SilverTip YP, then sanded with 220. Coated with PVA, brushed with gel coat, and laminated with 3-4 layers of 1.5 oz CSM.

Dreamt about it all night, and returned to the shop this morning to pop her loose.

Cleaned up the hole and dropped her in place...

I think the things that made a difference this time were a properly prepped mold and quality ploy resin not over catalyzed, and clean CSM from BBC!

After gluing this in place, I will be free to glass around it. Finish the forward bulkhead, glass down the front of the step and sole nearly to the transom. That should keep me busy for a few weeks. Feels good to have a path in front of me again!

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Way to overcome and push over the hump, Dan! You now have a really nice part, a new set of really useful skills, and a path forward, that's awesome! And so glad we could help with some inspiration, I know we can all use some from time to time. Cars will be back in that garage in no time!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

That sure looks nice, but plastic hatches are so much easier. If you could let me know why you decided to make them yourself I might see the logic in doing the same.

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

OneWayTraffic wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:36 am That sure looks nice, but plastic hatches are so much easier. If you could let me know why you decided to make them yourself I might see the logic in doing the same.
Out of pocket expense and stubbornness are the two greatest factors in going this route.

Hatch is 18x30. If I were willing to fork over the cash for an off the shelf option, i’m not aware of a plastic hatch of this size. There are some custom made fiberglass options available for $500 or more, and again, not willing to pry with the cash. 10 yards of CSM and a gallon of polyester resin totals about $90.

I also wanted to learn how to do it. Our shop has production capacity, and if I can get our guys building boat parts, that will be a win.

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

A bit of a sloppy mess, but the forward area around the hatch is glassed.

I've gotten used to wetting out glass horizontally, which works great for smaller pieces, but as soon as I got ready to roll up this 14" x 52" wet noodle of 12oz biax, did it occur to me that it wasn't going to work here. Threw the proverbial spaghettis at the wall, and this is what stuck. 60 grit on the belt sander got it to a point of moderate acceptability. Hatch gutter is surprisingly rigid, and shows almost no flex at all while standing on the lid.

Over bored holes in the hull for fuel vents, and refilled with thickened epoxy. Drilled out for 1-3/8" vent fittings.

Boat work is confined to the evenings while weekends are dedicated to the last bit of work to do in our house. A side quest if you will. First batch of living room built ins went in this weekend.

To be honest, I enjoy working on any project. Whether it is fiberglass and other goo in the garage, or a good old fashioned shop project. I'm grateful for the ability to do both.

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

I feel like I've taken almost a month off from the build. Hard to get it done like that...

After finishing our built ins in the living room, I enjoyed several hours making a mess in the boat this weekend.

Cut and joined the forward deck after spending a fair amount of time with a batten, marking, looking at, and power planing the the tops of the sides. The goal was to create a gradually rising sheer that afforded equal points of contact under the forward deck. It's not perfect, but within the wide spec S&G builders have come to appreciate.

Before gluing this down permanently, I'm making some time to fair to a work boat finish, the open compartment under the deck. For the horizontal surfaces, I mixed epoxy thickened with glass spheres to the consistency of honey, and brushed it and left it to self level. When cured, hit it with 80 grit, and I think the resulting finish is suitable for this and eventually, the sole. I also want to get a few thin layers of epoxy on this solid wood before gluing down the deck to allow for proper sanding for varnish.

Glued the fuel line fill and vent chase in finally, and had a chance to stretch a batten down the tops of the frames to get an idea of what the cap/deck/gunwales will look like. Finished width will be about 10-1/2". A little narrower than the 12" in the plans, but I feel like this width is Goldilocks.

New folder on my Desktop for this and upcoming pictures is labeled "Home Stretch" Maybe? I'm hoping for a productive winter!

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

Looking good, it's all coming together! 8)
Hank

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Nice work on the built-ins, that's going to be a great spot for some photos of you catching big fish on the boat!

Home stretch indeed, just cut, fit, glue, repeat and you're done!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

How you gonna access the vent later?
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495