C19 in Richmond, VA

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: C19

Post by pee wee »

You should get an answer, but in the meantime:

Sometimes the answer can be found by looking at different views of the same area, possibly one piece of information on one page put together with another piece from a different page (top view plus side view e.g.). Sometimes a necessary piece of information is in the build notes. Apologies if you've already looked everywhere, but usually everything you need can be found somewhere in your plans.
Hank

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

I estimate commercial woodwork and have definitely been known to miss a detail on a drawing. :/

It’s not a deal breaker question. The profile of the frame is clear. This line, I think, only regards the depth of the stringer notch. I can worry about it when the boat is flipped, but would like to know.

Hey, glad you guys dodged a bullet with the storm!

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

I ran away from hurricane Dorian. 5 days ago, it was a cat 5 aimed directly at my house.

Those two lines show the sole thickness. The reason for the existence of those lines is to show the depth of the notches.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

Thank you, Jacque!

What is the dimension to the bottom of the sole from the keel at this station? 11”?

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Look at station C. It shows the level of the sole measured from the baseline. It is also visible on D. What you see is the level of the lower face of the sole (= top of the stringers) measured from the baseline. It is the same all through the boat. You can see it on some other drawings too.
The way dimensions are shown, it take a couple additions to get that distance but it is 40-1/4".
All other dimensions refer in some way to the baseline and can get them from there.
I don't show dimensions that way anymore. All my new drawings have separate drawings for the stations and for the frames, it's easier to read but so many C19's were built from those plans that I prefer not to change the drafting even if is a little crowded.

You don't need that dimension but I suppose that you want to redraw the hull in CAD and that's fine.

PS: dimension tolerance is set to 1/8. If you add or subtract some of the dimensions, you may get a 1/8" difference. Use 40-1/4".
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

There going to be at least one more built from these plans. :wink:

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

Small but relevant milestone! Garage organized and strong back constructed on casters! Dimensions 43" x 208". I'm loving the LSLs. Nice and straight and stiff as a board.

Looking ahead to stringers, are the stringers labeled inboard and outboard inversed on the drawing? It looks like the stringer with the knee should be outboard. Correct?

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

Casters are less than ideal because you won't ever be level.

You could build bolts in hardwood for levelers.

Hard maple works well.

1/2-13" bolts mount in threads tapped into the wod and the bolt head sets on the ground; then you know you are level.

My vac table required them for like 8 setups each side, iirc I made 16 adjusters.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

You won't need to be level all the time, but plenty of times...

So you make it so you can stand up off the casters when needed.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

Dan_Smullen wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:05 pm Small but relevant milestone! Garage organized and strong back constructed on casters! Dimensions 43" x 208". I'm loving the LSLs. Nice and straight and stiff as a board.

Looking ahead to stringers, are the stringers labeled inboard and outboard inversed on the drawing? It looks like the stringer with the knee should be outboard. Correct?
I think in mine (metric) the labeling is reversed; the longer one is the inner one.
I designed my own boat. This is the build thread:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=65349