C19 in Richmond, VA

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: C19 in Richmond, VA

Post by Dan_Smullen »

VT_Jeff wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:10 pm
Dan_Smullen wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:35 pm
fallguy1000 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:37 pm I have some brand new casters if u r interested. I bought a bunch and no use.
I don't follow, FG. Wheels?
So you don't need to roll your strongback on pipes like ancient Egyptians building pyramids. I susoect you have casters, but the photo looks medeviel.
More optimistic that in a few months I’ll be off the strong back and my casters will be available for someone else to use.

No pipes, but occasionally harness the power of the ancients and levitate the boat.

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

Flood coat a epoxy moderately thickened with glass microspheres. Leveling it with 60 grit and this leaves only a few depressions that I believe I can fill with fairing compound. You can seem them easily.

Grinding my way toward primer!
Attachments
E59AFA5F-FD90-42A6-B4DC-4D5292603696.jpeg
A6B134DA-540F-4DC3-AEF4-B48551C75CDA.jpeg
1D883C06-A04D-401C-BC9E-6A7F5835458A.jpeg

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Maybe you can see them easily, looks pretty flat from here!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Looks good Dan. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

Pecking away, filling here and smoothing there, but real close to priming the deck and the inside. Will wait to do the sole until the console is glued in place.

Phenolic micro balloons thickened with cabosil has been the best. Goes on smooth and not too hard to sand.
Attachments
839E4BC9-CEEA-4A75-88F9-99DCBFB923DD.jpeg
6EE2B023-FF45-49D4-B253-35AE7A9DADAD.jpeg

TomTom
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by TomTom »

Looking good Dan - like what you did with the motorwell. Keeping my eyes open for the launch!

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Bet you're looking forward to getting primer on the decks and internal sides. Looking good :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

I took VT Jeff’s advice, and just spread the damn primer to “see what I’ve got.” It was the advice I needed to quit chasing little divots and such. I rolled a heavy coat of Inter Protect over surface sanded with only 60 grit, and sanded with 120 once dry. All feels smooth and any low spots I had missed were conspicuous, which I filled with Awl Fair, a beautiful product. It has the remarkable ability to stay in low spots as it’s spread with a rigid metal edge, and sands beautifully. I’m
Calling the cap ready for surfacing primer, but I think I’m putting this on hold to fiddle with the anchor locker hatch and mock up the console.
Attachments
image.jpg
9DFB769C-5017-40BB-8709-80167009D35B.jpeg
6A30A4F7-F210-4E95-A746-6064F8CA7AE4.jpeg
EE140E65-5F7F-432D-AFC3-005CD248D18D.jpeg

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Dan_Smullen wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 8:20 pm I took VT Jeff’s advice.....
For the record, I begged him to take Trent or Cameron's advice on anything related to painting and use me for a "best way to cover Allman Brothers on solo acoustic" resource only.

Glad it worked out though, it is amazing how much easier a quick coat can make it to see your actual progress!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

TomTom
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by TomTom »

Dan_Smullen wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 8:20 pm I took VT Jeff’s advice, and just spread the damn primer to “see what I’ve got.” It was the advice I needed to quit chasing little divots and such. I rolled a heavy coat of Inter Protect over surface sanded with only 60 grit, and sanded with 120 once dry. All feels smooth and any low spots I had missed were conspicuous, which I filled with Awl Fair, a beautiful product. It has the remarkable ability to stay in low spots as it’s spread with a rigid metal edge, and sands beautifully. I’m
Calling the cap ready for surfacing primer, but I think I’m putting this on hold to fiddle with the anchor locker hatch and mock up the console.
For what it’s worth … there are places your eye is drawn to on a boat and well worth fussing over … and then there are places where once one has added all the fittings, hard ware etc one wonders why on Earth one fussed over them.

The gunwales tend to show imperfections - but places that I really think I wasted a lot of time include the motorwell, anchor lockers, inside the console, the sides inside the boat (although I have shelves that break this up) ….

One thing I can say is once it’s on the water you tend to forget about the places that niggled you…

I agree wholeheartedly that putting primer down sooner rather than later will help you see where these places are.

It looks very nice and fair to me though. Well done