C19 in Richmond, VA

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: C19 in Richmond, VA

Post by Dan_Smullen »

Milestone alert! Sole glued in place!

Some last minute connections to cover up with foam. Drain chase from compartments via limber holes, draining to the bilge. Used cardboard tube as sacrificial mold under a layer of glass. These will all be covered from foam, poured into the compartment through a hole in the sole.

Glued the aft sections of floor together with tape and 12 oz on the back of the center section which will span the largest gas tank. Enlisted some help from a friend to dry fit this part, then set on to peanut butter spread with a 1/4" notched spreader on the tops of the stringers. No pics of this, our hands were full...

Fastened the sole pieces with truss head screws while the glue dried, and then pulled them out the next morning.

Ignore the image that appeared in the epoxy. I hope it's not a premonition of things to come.

One last look in the belly before setting the sole. Quick check to be sure nothing is left behind.

Uneventful, really. Dry fitting, trimming and setting took about an hour.

Edges taped this evening. Will work on boxing around the fuel fills and vents this week, as well as the other frames.

Old tire tubes wrapped around the fuel lines as suggested. Thanks for that FG!

I think after frames, it's time to mock up the console!

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

She us gonna be a beaut, no question, despite any temporary sole silhouettes!

Uneventful is the Holy Grail of boat-building, your hard work, careful planning and incredible luck all came together!

Any after photos of the bounty drains?
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Just saw the drains in the photo, I was blinded by the pvc first glance, they look great!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

I used a glue recommended by Aripeka Angler for the pvc and it seems to be exceptional. Name eludes me now...if you want to know I'll go look.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

It could be tricky pouring foam through a hole in the sole. Easier to foam first, then glue down sole when possible. If going through a hole I'd go easy, in stages, to prevent over expansion in some areas and warping the sole.

Dougster

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

Dougster wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:37 am It could be tricky pouring foam through a hole in the sole. Easier to foam first, then glue down sole when possible. If going through a hole I'd go easy, in stages, to prevent over expansion in some areas and warping the sole.

Dougster
For sure. Trading one set of challenges for another. Multiple holes along the length of the compartments seem necessary. Outcome will be documented and shared!

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Sounds good 8)

Dougster

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

Adding frames one at a time. As with CR's build, these provide an amazing amount stiffness to the side, and I smile a little every time I pound them with the side of my fist and they do not yield.

Fuel fill and vent hoses box in the works. It feels like a console building primer.

Doubled up the frames to be 2 layers of 1/2" rather than one layer of 3/8", just because. They'll appear more substantial if nothing else. 2 down and 2 to go.

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

It really is a great feeling! From "a hull I am working on" to "a boat I need to finish." Makes it much more satisfying to stand in and make motor noises.
I designed my own boat. This is the build thread:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=65349

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

"2 layers of 1/2" rather than one layer of 3/8","

Un-yielding indeed! Will make a nice, walk-able gunnel and safegaurd against those pesky, unintentional piling hits.