C19 in Richmond, VA

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: C19 in Richmond, VA

Post by Dan_Smullen »

Juuuuust a little short on foam, but first piece of main sole cut and fit is a milestone!

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Dan_Smullen wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:48 pm Juuuuust a little short on foam
Damn!
Dan_Smullen wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:48 pm first piece of main sole cut and fit is a milestone!
Nice!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

One more step Dan things are looking good. What is the big chase tube for?

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

TomW1 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:16 pm What is the big chase tube for?
That's a Herinal
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

VT_Jeff wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:08 pm
That's a Herinal
Lol! As the originator of the Herinal name, I invite you to become an investor. We just first develop the molding process, but once we perfect that, we’re ready to launch!

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Dan_Smullen wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:16 pm
VT_Jeff wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:08 pm
That's a Herinal
Lol! As the originator of the Herinal name, I invite you to become an investor. We just first develop the molding process, but once we perfect that, we’re ready to launch!
I've already seen your molding process, it's perfect! Uploading bitcoin now, please stand by.

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

TomW1 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:16 pm One more step Dan things are looking good. What is the big chase tube for?

Tom
It’s 4” PVC for engine controls and anything else I need to fit in it. It looks funny because it’s upside down in the pic. I cut and fit the elbow a while ago while determining the layout, but it’s been loose in the bilge ever since.

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

The few remaining voids have been filled with foam. I'm on the fence about foaming more compartments. In addition to the cost, reasons leaning towards the not, are the inability to inspect the inside of the hull in years to come. There is comfort in looking through an inspection hatch, and seeing the inside of hull dry and intact, as opposed to covering it all up with 11" of foam. Lord knows what could be brewing out of site and out of mind. I will continue to deliberate.

I believe the fuel line routing conundrum has been solved. Molded tray documentation is here. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=64870&start=70

Neoprene rubber strips were laminated to the bottom of the tank by spreading 5200 with a notched scraper, which provided beautiful coverage.

The intent was to do the same to the bottoms of the strips, and them set the tank in the bilge, but my pervasive fear of commitment prevented me from doing so. At least for now.

I predrilled 1/2" holes at the mounting tab locations, filled the with epoxy, then pre-drilled for 5/16" s.s. lags, utilizing rubber grommets to insulate between dissimilar metals. Will it help or hurt? I don't know...

Still need to track down some innertube scraps to protect the lines and adjacent plywood where the hoses pass through the sole. Of all of the chaffing gear suggestions, I like this one the best. Also, smooth band hose clamps for the vent line will be in tomorrow.

In other news, we snuck out in the marsh the other night wading, and found good fish feeding before the tide slowed.

To do:
1. Cut piece for center section of forward sole and prep to recieve 8" inspection hatch centered of tank plumbing connections
2. Glue down forward sections and tape
3. Finish gutter mold and hatch lid

All for now...

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

Pretty messy in the shop, and I'm getting low on epoxy, but I'll call this progress!

JimW suggests dielectric grease on the sending unit. This is advice I will take!

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

Sole is such fun.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495