C19 in Richmond, VA

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: C19 in Richmond, VA

Post by Browndog »

Looking good. Keep it up!

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

If you can stretch a skirt over it, I'll be good with calling it a coaming.

Great progress, and nice work on the super-sturdy apron, you're gonna be pleased with that when your occupants are getting thrown into it in the stink.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

VT_Jeff wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:56 pm If you can stretch a skirt over it, I'll be good with calling it a coaming.

Great progress, and nice work on the super-sturdy apron, you're gonna be pleased with that when your occupants are getting thrown into it in the stink.
:lol:

In the stink. That’s when it’s gonna count regardless of what we call it.

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

Inwale complete and top decks sanded smooth. Still need to work on the bottom edge of the rub rail a bit, but getting there. Most of the deck is glassed with one layer of 12oz biax.

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

Sticking glass on any bare wood inside and spreading epoxy thickened with glass spheres on the insides of the sides, filling the weave and leveling things as I contemplate the level of fairing attention these areas will receive. Not much in the way of pictures.

We did quick spring break trip to Corolla, NC where I visited a small display of local boats. I was excited to see the shared DNA with my build and this 1957 strip planked runabout. This hull resembled a scaled down sport-fisher with rounded bow, exaggerated flare and tumble home at the stern. The bow deck and raised inwales reminded me of the C19.

Also, scored some jewelry at a boat salvage yard in Chesapeake, VA. A while yet before these guys are needed, but they will help me lay out deck penetrations prior to glassing.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

That's an amazing haul right there!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog »

Sweet hardware!

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

Cleaning up the bottom edge of the rub rail to be parallel with the deck with a router jig that follows the sheer line. Not sketchy, but a little messy. Clean up required the leaf blower.

Fitting hardware and rounding over the edges in prep for glassing the decks, and also fairing the inside with fairing compound.

Also, laminated 3 layers of 3/16" spanish cedar over the forward deck and cut out a hatch cover that matches the camber of the deck.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Boy that picture of the router setup is worth 1000 words! Did you need to vary the "depth" at all as you went around? The results in the photo look great.

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

VT_Jeff wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:45 pm Boy that picture of the router setup is worth 1000 words! Did you need to vary the "depth" at all as you went around? The results in the photo look great.
Yes. Varied the depth. Actually went a little too deep in some spots that I’m in the process of filling with goo. A bit with radius corners would have been ideal. Even at the right depth there was some sanding and cleaning up afterwards.