C19 in Richmond, VA

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: C19 in Richmond, VA

Post by Dan_Smullen »

I’ll save some time not fairing the bottom side of the gunnels.

Fairing in a good place for the time being. Moved on to console planning. Started with a big idea, but upon mocking it up in cardboard, it became apparent that it would be better suited for a 28’er. Will save it for the next one…

Trimmed it down and started assembling the base.

We consolidated our shops into one space this month. The layout is evolving, but we’re making noise and chips, so I’m back to spending some free time thinking about the boat.
Attachments
A2D28C1B-77B1-49F2-88D8-87081EB4B38C.jpeg
CD59AEED-28B0-49A8-BECE-DCF41B459614.jpeg
8EE1D849-47DE-4161-99A7-444E4415AFE2.jpeg
8ACCCCC0-A083-447D-9046-2AFD4AA54435.jpeg
7A0A01FC-F7C4-4004-A91F-BE5663DED0B4.jpeg

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Dan_Smullen wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 9:03 pm
"it became apparent that it would be better suited for a 28’er."
Is it a washer or a dryer?
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

Nice to walk by the console. I messed mine up. Wheel too low, screens too low, footrest too low. Too far into it, but gonna add a high footrest.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

TomTom
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by TomTom »

Dan_Smullen wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 9:03 pm I’ll save some time not fairing the bottom side of the gunnels.

Fairing in a good place for the time being. Moved on to console planning. Started with a big idea, but upon mocking it up in cardboard, it became apparent that it would be better suited for a 28’er. Will save it for the next one…

Trimmed it down and started assembling the base.

We consolidated our shops into one space this month. The layout is evolving, but we’re making noise and chips, so I’m back to spending some free time thinking about the boat.
Hey Dan - have you bought a motor yet?

Is your transom for a 20" or 25" shaft?

If you haven't bought motor yet I would consider a 25" shaft and raising transom 5" (if its not that already).

I like the look of your console and how you are doing the corners - that's what I did.

Build going well!

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

VT_Jeff wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:47 pm
Dan_Smullen wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 9:03 pm
"it became apparent that it would be better suited for a 28’er."
Is it a washer or a dryer?
Builder's tip: A console the size of a Viking range is not appropriate.
TomTom wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 6:20 am

Hey Dan - have you bought a motor yet?

Is your transom for a 20" or 25" shaft?

If you haven't bought motor yet I would consider a 25" shaft and raising transom 5" (if its not that already).

I like the look of your console and how you are doing the corners - that's what I did.

Build going well!
Thank you! Feeling a little slow, but we're making progress. Great minds think alike!

Regarding engine shaft length, way back when I was cutting the transom, I wish I had an appreciation for the differences between long and short shaft outboards. Had I it to do over, I would have made the cutout for a 25" motor. I looked at a number of different ways to raise the cut out, but not willing to undertake. :cry: Unless I'm convinced otherwise, the juice is not worth the squeeze. Why would you consider it?

A guy who just got done stretching his C19 a few feet has a much different understanding of what juice is worth :lol: :lol:

TomTom
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by TomTom »

Dan_Smullen wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:38 pm

Thank you! Feeling a little slow, but we're making progress. Great minds think alike!

Regarding engine shaft length, way back when I was cutting the transom, I wish I had an appreciation for the differences between long and short shaft outboards. Had I it to do over, I would have made the cutout for a 25" motor. I looked at a number of different ways to raise the cut out, but not willing to undertake. :cry: Unless I'm convinced otherwise, the juice is not worth the squeeze. Why would you consider it?

A guy who just got done stretching his C19 a few feet has a much different understanding of what juice is worth :lol: :lol:
Here is a picture of the old 20” Transom with on the C19 before the extension and after with the 25” transom.

I also had to raise the transom and it was pretty straightforward - I just removed a layer of plywood on either side about 6” down from the top on ones side and 4” on the other so I had a staggered joint.

For me it does make a difference - your engine is that much further from the water, you are much less likely to take water over the back and also it’s quite nice that the bottom set of mounting bolts are above the sole level and don’t have to be tightened in the bilge.

I thought I would mention it because you could still change it now without too much difficulty.

Obviously it’s not an earth shattering difference - but one I would consider.

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

Almost time for a monthly report! Console has been the focus. Paint is ordered for the hull, so it’s likely I’ll be more excited to spray it then I will be to fix transom cut out height.

All seams taped with 12oz, and flat areas covered with 10oz. The dash and top corners are Azec PVC. Epoxy and glass adhesion to the pvc was best on the raw routes corners, but barely adequate on surfaces that were only sanded with 60 grit.
Attachments
8979021E-D9A2-4128-9DDA-ED9C4644CAD2.jpeg
D17C2E40-DACD-4B6D-9390-D114AFAD3410.jpeg

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice work Dan!! Jeff

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Console looking great Dan! What's you plan for the doors, fancy louver or just ply/glass? I suspect XP could output some very cool doors without breaking a sweat.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

Thank you Jeffs!

I got a piece of knock off Starboard and will do something with a rabbeted frame and piano hinge.