C19 in Richmond, VA

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
TomTom
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: C19 in Richmond, VA

Post by TomTom »

How are you going to seal this flexible rubber hose and stop water coming between it and the sole? Or am I missing a step/ something?

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

TomTom wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:10 pm Image

How are you going to seal this flexible rubber hose and stop water coming between it and the sole? Or am I missing a step/ something?
Fair question. Rather than a single frame here, It will be boxed out with 2 frames spaced ~6” or so apart with a cap on them. 4” pie plate access panel up high at the gunwale to access the hose clamps at the fill.

That’s the plan anyway.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Dan_Smullen wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:34 am
TomTom wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:10 pm Image

Fair question. Rather than a single frame here, It will be boxed out with 2 frames spaced ~6” or so apart with a cap on them. 4” pie plate access panel up high at the gunwale to access the hose clamps at the fill.

That’s the plan anyway.
I like it!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

We spent our week in Hatteras, NC. We chased some fish and the sound, and drove to the tip of the island for a moment of solitude.

Returned to the C19 a little lost as to how to continue progress.

Staring down the prospect of buying and pouring and leveling more foam before making progress sticking the floor, I have decided to forgo foam for now, finalize securing and plumbing the tank, and stick the floor down over empty cavities. I will likely pour foam into 2" holes I drill in the sole before glassing it all in. So for now, the sole is dry fit and will be working to stick it in the week ahead.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Dan why put off ordering the foam. Order it today and you will have it Wednesday or Thursday and you won't have to worry about adding it through the holes and maybe adding to much.

Regards, Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Adding foam thru 2' holes wouldn't be my choice either. Seems like it would be hard to get an even spread. Sure looked like a nice red on that lure :)

Dougster

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

TomW1 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:12 am Dan why put off ordering the foam. Order it today and you will have it Wednesday or Thursday and you won't have to worry about adding it through the holes and maybe adding to much.
I get the thinking, but I've been financing the build Johnny Cash style, one piece at a time. Monthly budget essentially, and need more epoxy this month. Also, I hate buying foam. Big investment, and it's all gone in minutes. Then the leveling which creates waste...

I may not even pour anymore. I have a fair amount in the bow and forward. At least pouring after the fact will save me from trimming the top of it.
Dougster wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:02 pm Adding foam thru 2' holes wouldn't be my choice either. Seems like it would be hard to get an even spread. Sure looked like a nice red on that lure :)
I agree. Like most parallel paths, overcoming one challenge results in creating another. I think I can overcome this one with well placed holes, and ample amounts of material ready to pour.

This was the only fish to bite on that day. Slick calm conditions. It seemed like topwater would be a good choice. I love this pink Skitterwalk. It has been a producer for a while. 3rd set of hooks on this one, I think!

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice trip Dan!!! Jeff

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Dan I hear you on the funds point. But pouring through the holes is tricky. I would only pour 3/4 or 7/8 full. If you fill till it comes out the site holes, it will push up your decks as it expands, which is not good. It has a lot of force when expanding. As far as your cutting waste from the top, throw them in the bottom of the next compartment as filler. As far as where you are putting the foam are you following Jacques recommendation and just putting it in the compartments between the outside and the center compartments?

Well keep on going, as I think I have told you before I love the C19. Nice pics from the OB.

Regards, Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

Jeff wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:37 pm Nice trip Dan!!! Jeff
Thank you, Bud! It always is!

TomW1 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:06 pm

Well keep on going, as I think I have told you before I love the C19. Nice pics from the OB.
Thank you Tom, and words of caution noted! To be continued!