Carbon

Please see our tutorials and FAQ before posting.
fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Carbon

Post by fallguy1000 »

Okay, so a couple of questions.

If you build with carbon and epoxy, if you want to leave the carbon clear; is it same like wood and needs varnish?

Any ideas of ways to include carbon in the build?

I have considered a carbon windscreen frame, carbon hardtop, carbon dash.

The downside to the dash is it will change. So would you make a carbon insert and just swap out the entire insert?
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

fallguy1000

Re: Carbon

Post by fallguy1000 »

https://www.carbonweezel.co.uk/marine/index.html

These are cool, but UK vendor is sort of silly.

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

Do you have to use a UV resin if you don't paint? If you want the weight savings but not the look, can you tint the epoxy?

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid »

BB Sig wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:32 am Do you have to use a UV resin if you don't paint? If you want the weight savings but not the look, can you tint the epoxy?
Any epoxy will yellow over time. The UV Epoxy definitely gives you more time but is will yellow also. The UV epoxy also is not clear. It is tinted. UV varnish or clear coat topcoat is the way to go. You can always lightly sand and re-varnish/paint if need be and it won't harm the carbon.

Reid
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Epoxy is still UV sensitive, carbon or not. You can leave it clear, we have done that, see the Jetboat thread for pictures.
You mus use a high quality resin or the carbon properties will be wasted.
To build a windshield frame from carbon only is fine but see this that I wrote years ago:

Mixing materials is not always a good idea.
An example will explain that. Let’s say that a crane has to lift a weight of 1,000 lbs and we must select a cable to lift the weight.
We can choose a nylon strap or a chain with a strength of 1,200 lbs (safety margin). Simple and safe.
We could also decide to use two cables in combination: one nylon with a strength of 800 lbs and one carbon fiber 800 lbs. Total strength 1,600 lbs right? No, it will break.
The two materials have different elongations. The carbon fiber does not stretch but nylon does. At first, while the crane starts lifting, the nylon will stretch but not do much to lift the weight. When pulling at 800 lbs, the nylon still does not work very much, it’s just stretching but the carbon fiber whihc does not stretch takes the full load and breaks. After that, the nylon left to itself also breaks before lifting anything. Our hybrid material system failed.
The same happens in composites. Mixing high tech materials has to be calculated, different fibers will not necessarily work together and different resins must be used.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

jacquesmm wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:17 pm Epoxy is still UV sensitive, carbon or not. You can leave it clear, we have done that, see the Jetboat thread for pictures.
You mus use a high quality resin or the carbon properties will be wasted.
To build a windshield frame from carbon only is fine but see this that I wrote years ago:

Mixing materials is not always a good idea.
An example will explain that. Let’s say that a crane has to lift a weight of 1,000 lbs and we must select a cable to lift the weight.
We can choose a nylon strap or a chain with a strength of 1,200 lbs (safety margin). Simple and safe.
We could also decide to use two cables in combination: one nylon with a strength of 800 lbs and one carbon fiber 800 lbs. Total strength 1,600 lbs right? No, it will break.
The two materials have different elongations. The carbon fiber does not stretch but nylon does. At first, while the crane starts lifting, the nylon will stretch but not do much to lift the weight. When pulling at 800 lbs, the nylon still does not work very much, it’s just stretching but the carbon fiber whihc does not stretch takes the full load and breaks. After that, the nylon left to itself also breaks before lifting anything. Our hybrid material system failed.
The same happens in composites. Mixing high tech materials has to be calculated, different fibers will not necessarily work together and different resins must be used.
This is why carbon and foam are a bit silly.

But a solid carbon dashboard might look nice.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

If you are just going for look, why not use one of the appliques like those used on cars?

Not recommending this as it is not designed to be permanent... https://www.amazon.com/Carbon-Fiber-Vin ... B0059XEM9I
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

I want the real thing, but I understand pinholing is common.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

That is a picture of a carbon hybrid fabric over plywood, just for looks.

For sale here:
https://boatbuildercentral.com/wp/prodd ... prod=E_KCH
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

jacquesmm wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:20 pm Image

That is a picture of a carbon hybrid fabric over plywood, just for looks.

For sale here:
https://boatbuildercentral.com/wp/prodd ... prod=E_KCH
Thanks.

I didn't realize I could get it in red. Tempting..