Carbon

Please see our tutorials and FAQ before posting.
Tungsten
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Carbon

Post by Tungsten »

for flat surfaces use a mylar say .030 thick .This gives you the look.Hand lay it give it a little more epoxy then lay the mylar on top.Spray with varnish after cure.
edit remove mylar then spray .
Last edited by Tungsten on Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tungsten
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Tungsten »

Or if you want to add carbon inlays,infuse just the carbon on a sheet of glass.Inlay where ever you want.

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

Tungsten wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:16 pm for flat surfaces use a mylar say .030 thick .This gives you the look.Hand lay it give it a little more epoxy then lay the mylar on top.Spray with varnish after cure.
Can't I use my vac table?
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

I ordered a yard of the red.

The picture JM added was too much for me.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

For a dash panel, the stuff needs a firm mounting.

Sometimes even screws...

So probably mount on 1/2" marine plywood.

Tungsten
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Tungsten »

fallguy1000 wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:57 pm
Tungsten wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:16 pm for flat surfaces use a mylar say .030 thick .This gives you the look.Hand lay it give it a little more epoxy then lay the mylar on top.Spray with varnish after cure.
Yes and no,the mylar is the mold.You want to be able to see that all air is gone.You push them out with a squeegee.The mylar is flexable enough to push air out but firm enough to stay flat so you get a mirror finish.
You could use a piece of glass but Ive never tried.
If you use your vac table its going on blind,plus you need to wax it very well and hope it doesnt stick.

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown »

FG,

Not quite what you are doing but this 3 part video series from a company in the UK is very good on making car panels from carbon fiber. I came across it last year when a just looking at making fiberglass molds in general.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgKvDw1E60E
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Tungsten wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:46 am
fallguy1000 wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:57 pm
Yes and no,the mylar is the mold.You want to be able to see that all air is gone.You push them out with a squeegee.The mylar is flexable enough to push air out but firm enough to stay flat so you get a mirror finish.
You could use a piece of glass but Ive never tried.
If you use your vac table its going on blind,plus you need to wax it very well and hope it doesnt stick.
Thanks.

So, i would do the back on peelply on the vac table and use mylar on the front to avoid pinholing and see the work for an all carbon layup..?

But if I apply to plywood, then would you add a resin rich fiberglass between or would you neat coat the ply to smooth first or bed in thin thixo? Then the vac table is just a table. I would be concerned about print through of any glass. Perhaps the smooth ply would be ideal. I think a backer woud be best for gauge mounting. At least 1/2" ply.

Will the epoxy run out the edges of the mylar or hold in place? Or do you expect edge losses?

Tungsten
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Tungsten »

How big of piece?Plywood you neet coat first,mash it in with a plastic trowl let sit a few minutes then remove the excess.Let it absorb all it can.
The Mylar works well on smaller panels,say 2~3 sq/ft.I found it to be a little difficult on larger panels.
Yes youll get goo running out the edges as you lightly apply pressure to remove the air.
Do a couple of tests on bare ply first,when you get it right it looks so good.

Its called petG i think Google will help,mine has a removable blue film and is .030 thick.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Tungsten wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:29 am How big of piece?Plywood you neet coat first,mash it in with a plastic trowl let sit a few minutes then remove the excess.Let it absorb all it can.
The Mylar works well on smaller panels,say 2~3 sq/ft.I found it to be a little difficult on larger panels.
Yes youll get goo running out the edges as you lightly apply pressure to remove the air.
Do a couple of tests on bare ply first,when you get it right it looks so good.

Its called petG i think Google will help,mine has a removable blue film and is .030 thick.
Thank you.