C12 in Florida

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
94'325is
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

C12 in Florida

Post by 94'325is »

Started building a C12 for some of the local lakes and inshore east Florida. I've built several of the cheap canoes, a D5, FL14 and GF 16 and so far all of them have performed exactly the way I was hoping for/they were designed. Drove down to Ft Pierce and visited the new wharehouse to pick up supplies, if you're local or have a chance to visit it's worth it, really cool place they have down there. Plus Jeff and Reid will help you load your trailer in 400% humidity!

Got the panels cut out and stitched together and right off the bat made a mistake. In not reading the laminating schedule I used 6ox biax on all the inside seams since I had about 20 yards left over from other projects and it looks like I needed to use 2 layers of 12 in some spots so that will be fixed later. I was hoping to avoid this by working wet on wet but it's my fault I didn't read ahead.

The boat then got flipped and the chine seams ground. The keel is purposely not glassed from the inside since I will be cutting the centerboard trunk soon. I'm going to have a friend over on Saturday (pending Dorian picking up speed) to glass all the outside seams and lay 6 oz. fabric over the entire bottom, hopefully in 1 shot. When I glassed the GF16 I was by myself and did it all in one shot and that was a lot, a second person would have really helped.

Having some issues with attachments but hopefully these pictures will work:
Attachments
8-23-19 Begining 2.jpg
8-24-19 Hull Stitched 2.jpg
8-27-19 Chines Ground 5.jpg
8-27-19 Chines Ground 6.jpg
8-27-19 Chines Ground 7.jpg

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: C12 in Florida

Post by Jeff »

94'325is, Welcome back and great seeing you last week!!! Nice progress!! Jeff

94'325is
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by 94'325is »

Lots of progress but haven't kept up with this thread in a little while. Got the outside chine seams taped and 6oz cloth wrapped around the outside hull. Then the CB trunk was cut and bottom roughly faired and graphite coated. Rubrail also went on to add stiffness during the flips.
9-25-19 Rub Rail and Rear Frame Removed.jpg
10-12-19 Graphite Bottom.jpg
I then cut out the rear frame and moved it backwards since I have a different idea for the layout. I will have a wide rail going around the boat and basically create a cockpit with an open interior. I hope once I get a few pictures it will make more sense but there was another C12 (Little Gem) that has a similar layout and seemed to work really well.
Attachments
10-20-19 Interior 5.jpg

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice progress!!! Jeff

Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bogieman »

Yesssssss! Another one for the sailboat community! She's looking great

94'325is
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by 94'325is »

Got very busy for a few months and finished out my GF16 the way I wanted after 3 years of use but back to the C12. I bought a Laser mast and boom locally, the specs are very similar to what Jacques calls out and I figured it would be a lot easier to find a Laser sail down the road. Starting to look like a sailboat!
Attachments
Mast 2.jpg
Mast 1.jpg

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Welcome back 94'325is!!! Nice progress on your C12!!! Jeff

94'325is
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by 94'325is »

Made a mast tube of wrapping roughly 5 layers of 12oz biax around a packing tape covered tube and epoxied/glassed it in place. I then filled the bottom of the tube with putty so the mast would sit at the correct height for the boom vang mount to clear the deck. After I installed my gunnels and started shaping them. They will have a teak strip running on the inside face once they are finished being shaped. Pictures are not my strong suit but hopefully they give the general idea.
Attachments
Mast Step.png
Mast Step 2.png
Gunnels Sanded 2.png
Gunnels Sanded.png

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice!!! Jeff

94'325is
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by 94'325is »

Still making progress (thanks again for the quick shipping of supplies). Lots and lots of fairing on the inside which still doesn't seem like enough but made progress to be able to roll primer. A few spots need touchups but overall not too bad. I put it out in the yard and put the mast on to sit inside and picture sailing, really helps with motivation.
Attachments
4-11-20 Inside Fairing 3.jpg
4-11-20 Inside Fairing 7.jpg
4-11-20 Inside Fairing.JPG
4-15-20 Interior Primed.JPG