AR15 FRAME C QUESTION

Sail Boats 15' and up. Please include the boat type in your question.
jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

All the dimensions are there except for the bow angle but you don't need, it is defined by panel shape.
I'll check again and will add a response later.

About those seats changes.
There is reason why we design the seats the way we do.
Your recessed seats will be uncomfortable and unpractical when the wind blows hard.
Sitting on your seat, you will have the deck ridge pushing on your kidneys when the boat heels. After a while, it will hurt.
Your knees will be bent at a sharp angle, not very comfortable either.
With more wind, you will have to sit on that very narrow ledge and that will not ony hurt but be unstable.
All prerformance dinghies have benches the way we design them for a reason. I have extensive experience sailing those boats and the shape of the benches is based on sound ergonomics.
. . . but you can change anythig you want, it's your boat. :)
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

ryans
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ryans »

Hello! can you send me via email (or whatever) dimetions of front station. I mean dimentions from station A to stem, from BL to keel, from BL to chine? and stem angle.
The bow angle is 11 degrees.
All the dimensions for Station A are on drawing D230/4.

Jonnas
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Jonnas »

jacquesmm wrote: . . . About those seats changes.
There is reason why we design the seats the way we do.
Your recessed seats will be uncomfortable and unpractical when the wind blows hard.
Sitting on your seat, you will have the deck ridge pushing on your kidneys when the boat heels. After a while, it will hurt.
Your knees will be bent at a sharp angle, not very comfortable either.
With more wind, you will have to sit on that very narrow ledge and that will not ony hurt but be unstable.
All prerformance dinghies have benches the way we design them for a reason. I have extensive experience sailing those boats and the shape of the benches is based on sound ergonomics. :)
As soon as I received my plans I started thinking of modifying the seats as well. But, initially, I was thinking more of a Caravelle's seats type of thing (or like those you can see now on the CR13 study plans): large and confortable and with a caprail wide enough to sit on when necessary. I also discussed with Rich (richsstrat) his seat mods and got his impressions after actually using them (review his builder's thread). My main concern was having the kids sort of "loose" on board, without something to hold them in.
This summer I sorted it out. The "Snipe" seats are like every performance dinghy seats, i.e. the way Jacques designed them for the AR15. They are very confortable both when cruising (when you can relax and enjoy the view) and fast sailing (when you have to hike out for balance). And with this boat you will want to go fast. As fast as possible (or as your seat allows ... ). It's confortable and safe for the kids too: the cockpit is actually deep and large enough to hold them in (more so on the AR15 because of a higher freeboard).
So, to summarize and as some frinds tell me: there's no need to invent what has already been invented. Meaning I'll go for the seats as per design.

Best regards.
JG

PS: As Jim said at another post, some of us are just "talkers". I guess I'm one :) . Forgive me to bother you with my theoretical opinions. I hope I can become a "builder" sometime soon so I can have some "pratical" oppinions instead.

richstrat
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by richstrat »

Hiya all,

I'll have to go and measure the seats, but I can comment on comfort...

The lower seat is quite comfy - less experienced sailors find it much more reassuring.

I personally prefer the higher level - better visibility and it suits my longer legs - a long period of sitting on the lower level (in light winds) gets a bit achey, so I stand up for a bit to stretch my legs!

I'll get the dimensions as soon as I remember!

Rich
Check out my AR-15, Expensive Therapy, in builders

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

You do not need the distance from A to the bow to build the boat but if you want it for your modifications or CAD work, it is there.
Look at the dimensions for the foredeck. It is paralell to the BL and goes from B to the bow and since you know AB, you can get A to bow.
It is 923 mm inside the planking.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

ryans
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ryans »

The full length is 1416mm.

ryans
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ryans »

The nesting is correct. It should be made of 3/8" [10mm].