Okuoplex 6566 vs bs 1088

Please see our tutorials and FAQ before posting.
Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Okuoplex 6566 vs bs 1088

Post by Dan_Smullen »

I ordered the first few sheets to get started from a commercial material supplier, specifying BS1088, but material received is stamped Okuoplex, no Lloyd’s stamp.

Will this 9mm material be suitable for transom and stringers?

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Okuoplex 6566 vs bs 1088

Post by BB Sig »

It is not what you spec'd, it should go back... :x

Google doesn't even pull that stuff up. 8O That should be enough of a reason to send it back! :lol:

BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by BrianC »

SK14 completed ——— GV15 under construction "...there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.”
The Wind in the Willows — Kenneth Grahame

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

BrianC wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:53 pm https://www.joubert-group.com/en/jouber ... uplex.html

Not marine grade - here is their marine grade: https://www.joubert-group.com/en/jouber ... e-ply.html
Same info I found, Brian. I was disappointed when I didn’t see the Lloyds stamp.

The next question is, is this material suitable for transom and stringers in a C19?

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Dan, I sent you an email earlier but I have never heard of okouplex, no idea where made or which mill. I would be extremely cautious with the stuff!! Stay with Okoume BS1088 Lloyd's Certified (This is the hull & heart of your boat). Jeff

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown »

Dan_Smullen wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:06 am
BrianC wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:53 pm https://www.joubert-group.com/en/jouber ... uplex.html

Not marine grade - here is their marine grade: https://www.joubert-group.com/en/jouber ... e-ply.html
Same info I found, Brian. I was disappointed when I didn’t see the Lloyds stamp.

The next question is, is this material suitable for transom and stringers in a C19?
If it was me I'd send it back since it's not what you ordered or spec'd.
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

It's CTBX, a French standard not as strict as the British BS1088 or even 6566.
I have specified if for interior parts and sometimes agreed about it's use for some workboats with heavy fiberglass skins.
If you paid the price of 1088, you should get 1088.

The Lloyds stamp is a separate classification, CTBX will never reach the Lloyds 100A class.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

J Man has spoken.

I’m sending it back. Price was $62 per sheet.

It is Joubert.

After I posed questions about markings and lack of stamp, I was told this material uses the same glues and cores, but not elegible for the stamp because seams in the veneer are allowed.

It came from a commercial material supplier who we purchase north of $50k worth of lumber and sheets goods from per year. I think in this case it’s a lack of education about a low volume, (for them) material. They do great when we need 40 sheets of 4x10 white oak MDF, but fell short on this. No hard feelings. And maybe it would be fine, but I can’t “unsee” it.

Besides, Jeff hooked it up with a great quote, for the good stuff, which I will pull the trigger on when I get refunded for this fiasco.

Thanks Jeff! Talk to you soon.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

It has been my experience that it is dang hard to beat the BBC teams prices. I know for a fact they work very hard to get the best shipping price possible.

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

And that’s from someone in Alaska! :lol: