Okuoplex 6566 vs bs 1088

Please see our tutorials and FAQ before posting.
Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Okuoplex 6566 vs bs 1088

Post by Jeff »

Dan, let’s talk when you have time as I sell Joubert but only the Okoume BS1088 (Lloyd’s Certified). Maybe they are producing a product that I am unaware of now!!!! 772.742.8535. Jeff

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

That will be good, Jeff. I’ve got some info from the sales guy, and an email in to Joubert.

Maybe we’ll all learn something new.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Deal!!! Jeff

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Thank you Narfi!!! Jeff

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Jeff wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:26 pm Thank you Narfi!!! Jeff
Begin sarcasm...

I don't know Jeff... It may be that your service is terrible BECAUSE it is so good. Let me explain.

1. Person orders.
2. 48hr later stuff arrives.
3. Universe starts judging you for having "Jeff stuff" and no ability to use it!

As you can see, your great service actually results in an unpleasant experience.

end sarcasm
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Netpackrat
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Netpackrat »

No saltwater around when needed.... :lol:

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Netpackrat wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:09 pm No saltwater around when needed.... :lol:
:help:
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

It’s been an illuminating week for learning about marine plywood. I’ve spoken with our man at BBC, Jeff, the Joubert plywood importer for the mid Atlantic, as well as 3 other regional sheet goods distributors.

All that I have learned, is there is a great deal of cloudy mis information out there, and if you want to have confidence in your material, but Joubert BS1088.

The 6566 I received has been returned, because I was unable to put together non conflicting information about it. Jaques says it’s CTBX, manufacturer info agrees, but material labeling suggests it’s something else, and, information provided by the importer suggests it’s Meranti, but it’s Okoume. :doh:

Regardless, below is a link sent to me by the importer which describes the differences between 6566 and 1088.
https://www.wolstenholme.com/pdf/Marine ... arison.pdf

Despite the great sheet price Jeff quoted to me, it’s going to make more sense to me to buy legit stamped Joubert BS1088 from a semi local retailer, where 1088 sells for about $40 more per sheet than quoted by BBC. But that’s fine, my intention all along has been to buy material in small manageable batches, and to be able to do so inside of a 4 hour round trip ain’t too bad.

Thanks for all the insight, lads, especially from Jeff, who most likely saved me a great deal of heartache by talking me out of buying a grand worth of Greek marine plywood.

As a footnote, a plywood guy told me the Greek stuff, Merakis, actually comes front Turkey, not China as I suspected