Facebooks Group?

Bateau Builders organize and plan their meetings and get-togethers. This is grass roots at its finest, not sanctioned by E-Boat, Inc
jonnymac
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Facebooks Group?

Post by jonnymac »

cracked_ribs wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:21 pm I occasionally post stuff there, usually when I've exceeded three beers and don't have the patience to type up a proper post and upload pics in a structured manner. As a matter of fact I got busted doing exactly that by someone in this very thread.

I realized one big group is run by Jeff Spira which surprised me - I didn't realize that anybody actually built his boats (no offense Captain UB). The bill of materials on those things is basically printed on a bunch of red flags, as far as I'm concerned.
Jeff started posting youtube videos which has been interesting from a technical perspective. I don't prefer his building methods honestly, but he seems energetic.

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

I love the Spira type boats. Would I build one? No.

Or I might, but I'd be cold molding it on a lighter frame with 6mm-9mm ply then glassing both sides with biaxial. But there's other options.

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

Well, he's certainly prolific and a couple of his designs have nice lines to my eye.

But I can't get too enthusiastic about the idea of ordering plans, only to re-engineer everything so I don't have to deal with the bizarre building methods.

I do think that, for instance, the Hatteras 19' V-bottom looks quite attractive. One of those out of 6mm side/maybe 9mm bottom, 12oz tape and fabric would be a pretty nice open boat to fish out of. But if I have to figure out the glass and framing and everything, I'm not ordering plans, I'll just draw one myself.
I designed my own boat. This is the build thread:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=65349

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Which is why I'm not building one. I don't think the methods are bizarre; they look like standard plank on frame to me. I like the look of them and there's something salty about them. I admit to being a weird one. I would not build one mainly for the reasons that you allude to. It's one thing to look at a girl and another to jump into bed and have kids.

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

What I find bizarre is just the insistence on using hardware store materials, and then having to design around the potential liabilities and weaknesses of those materials. I assume part of why his boats are so heavily constructed is that by not spec'ing traditional boat-specific materials, and using SPF 2x4s and exterior 3/4 ply etc, you're dealing with a greater need to build in redundant strength.

So many of those boats could be built much lighter, if they used higher quality materials. Not everybody wants the lightest possible boat or anything but I just find that whole design ethic really odd.
I designed my own boat. This is the build thread:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=65349

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

That I can understand. There should be at least some allowances for lighter scantlings.