AD14 - Ciulnita

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: AD14 - Ciulnita

Post by terrulian »

Great work and documentation. Keep it coming!
Tony

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

You have done some amazing work. I love how you are able to build what you need.

Netpackrat
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Netpackrat »

If it's possible to get where you are,you might consider getting a basic nicopress kit so you can swage your rigging instead of using the cable clamps.

https://www.sailrite.com/Swage-It-Rigging-Kit

aurimpres
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by aurimpres »

Thanks,
I will consider improving the rigging because the first time one cable snapped from clamps and damaged the tabernacle.

aurimpres
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by aurimpres »

Few pictures I have from this year, 2019, and from small things but here are all the construction ones.

The centerboard was glued in 2017 and was shaped in this summer. Because I was afraid of pouring melted lead I just cast multiple pies of it and glued together in the cb holes. Just 30Kg of ballast and with resin and plywood it weights around 40kg.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/xWS9qeWXw7g[/youtube]
[youtube]https://youtu.be/jqwI7FSRb1E[/youtube]

The rudder gudgeons and pintles was made from steel by myself. Not good looking work but it will do the job.

For seat hatches I've made a false bottom just above the deck, with water holes for drainage

From 4x5mm plywood glued together I've shaped hand rails. First time using a power grinder as a toll for shaping/sanding things. What a versatile tool and what a foul for not using it.

Companion way
[youtube]https://youtu.be/oFCFpdaUdgo[/youtube]

That was all about the AD14 construction. I still have to sand and paint things but this will have to wait til next spring.
I will take more detail pictures of parts that are not here like, deck, motor mount, the new tabernacle, sail, trailer, outboard, etc.
Also, I have to calculate the bill of materials not included small bits like infinite brushes, rollers, gloves, sanding pads, cups and you know, all the materials that are too small to count but adds a lot to the cost. Not including car gas, electricity, beers and so on :D

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Again, impressive work and documentation, especially on the rudder hardware.

On the rigging: cable clamps will work if done properly. Believe it or not, I found Moitessier's boat in Raiatea with galvanized hardware store rigging using clamps. He was long gone and his girlfriend was the skipper. Who knows whether it was his idea or hers. Nicopress would be better, and my own preference would be Sta-Lok or Norseman fittings. But this is a small boat so anything should be quite sufficient.
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I guess I'm the contrarian here. other than "do it right" I don't see what the issues could possibly be with cable clamps. This is not a high performance boat with oversized sails. Using cable clamps is inexpensive, easy to source, and easy to setup/repair. What am I missing?
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Nothing. As I said, cable clamps would work if done properly. Sometimes they get installed backwards.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4ThsQ8gijU
Tony

aurimpres
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by aurimpres »

I Think that cable clamps will do just fine for now but I will search for alternatives. I have a zip line used by kids but will support an adult too and it's ok.
The first time I've used PVC coated wire rope and that slipped under the clamps.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Can't you strip the pvc for the connections?
Tony