Page 1 of 1

Central FL OB15

Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:56 am
by The Chironex
Hello All,

Zac here in Central FL building a family boat for my wife, son and myself. Decided on the OB15 with a center console due to storing the boat in my garage thanks to my lovely FL HOA (insert sarcasm) :lol:

Anyways, I’ve had it for a week or so and have made, what I feel is pretty good progress. Here’s some pics of where I’m at currently. Hoping to epoxy weld all the panels together maybe today or tomorrow.

Re: Central FL OB15

Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:11 am
by Jeff
Nice Zac, really good start to the OB15 build!!!! Jeff

Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:45 am
by The Chironex
Jeff wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:11 am Nice Zac, really good start to the OB15 build!!!! Jeff
Thanks Jeff! It’s really such an awesome process. Definitely have had fun so far!

Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:12 pm
by Fuzz
One of the neatest parts of building is taking a bunch of flat plywood pieces and stitching them together to make a boat looking thing. Lots of luck with your build.

Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:16 am
by Eric1
Nice and fair! Build on!! :D

Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:19 am
by OrangeQuest
Yes, very nice and fair! Keep posting pictures!! A lot of guys start having so much fun they forget!

Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:11 am
by The Chironex
Thanks all for your kind words! Definitely having a lot of fun with this build. I can see how people get the “building bug” :D

Here comes the ugly stages of boat building 😂. Epoxied between the stitches last night with the Mrs. I’ll let them cure for the day and pop the stitches this evening. Going to sand and fill more tonight or tomorrow. Happy Friday everyone!

Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:54 am
by Jeff
Good stuff Zac!!!! Jeff

Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:56 pm
by Reid
Zac,

Welcome to the Forum. Nice work so far! If you can, try and run the rest of the fillets and then follow up with the fiberglass tape right after (wet on wet). This will save you a lot of time not having to sand.

Reid

Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:43 pm
by The Chironex
Reid wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:56 pm Zac,

Welcome to the Forum. Nice work so far! If you can, try and run the rest of the fillets and then follow up with the fiberglass tape right after (wet on wet). This will save you a lot of time not having to sand.

Reid
Reid,

Thank you, thank you. Yeah that’s the game plan with the help from the Mrs. hope to get it knocked out this weekend! :)

Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:15 am
by RomanVilgut
Wellcome to the forum!

Great work. The boat looks really nice so far. I needed 10kg of epoxy for all the glassing. It's really important to mix every patch of epoxy for some minutes. I had some problems whith epoxy that did not dry because was not mixed good.

And glassing the hull can be messy. Don't forget to layout plastic on the floor.

Have fun with your boat!

Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:56 pm
by DAYTRIP
Great build and that is a great boat. I built one 13 years ago. You will love it!

Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:17 pm
by Rtorres2411
Nice and fair, looking great 8)
The chine step on the side will use a nice amount of thickened epoxy to fill them. You can use some scrap plywood strips in the chines to fill them some before filling the chines with the thickened epoxy to do the chine flats. It will save you plenty of epoxy using that method.

Build on :D

Ruben

Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:36 am
by The Chironex
Rtorres2411 wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:17 pm Nice and fair, looking great 8)
The chine step on the side will use a nice amount of thickened epoxy to fill them. You can use some scrap plywood strips in the chines to fill them some before filling the chines with the thickened epoxy to do the chine flats. It will save you plenty of epoxy using that method.

Build on :D

Ruben
Great idea! Definitely going to put some wood scraps in there to help fill it in. Thank you!

Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:51 pm
by The Chironex
Sanded some more today. Hoping to fill the rest tonight and potentially tape the seams.

Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:54 pm
by Jeff
Nice work Zac!!!! Jeff

Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:56 pm
by Reid
Looking good!
-Reid

Posted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:26 am
by Capfish1
Looking good! Hope mine turns out that pretty!!

Posted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:16 am
by Capfish1
Hey Zac,

Looking for a specific dimension. On your transom edge, where the side panel meets the bottom hull to create the chine.... How high is the side panel from the transom bottom edge?

Thanks!!! Appreciate any help....

Posted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:53 pm
by The Chironex
Capfish1 wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:16 am Hey Zac,

Looking for a specific dimension. On your transom edge, where the side panel meets the bottom hull to create the chine.... How high is the side panel from the transom bottom edge?

Thanks!!! Appreciate any help....
Thanks for your kind words. Yours is looking great as well! Mines right about at 13/16”.

Posted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:09 pm
by Capfish1
Thanks!! I'm in the ballpark, I readjusted to 1" and it looks fare so onto the next step...

Thanks again for the reply!!

Chester

Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:15 pm
by The Chironex
Capfish1 wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:09 pm Thanks!! I'm in the ballpark, I readjusted to 1" and it looks fare so onto the next step...

Thanks again for the reply!!

Chester
Glad I could help! Look forward to seeing how your build goes!

Posted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:50 pm
by The Chironex
Chines filled and sanded. I’ve got a bit more sanding to do and a couple small spots to fill and touch up a bit. I’ll go over everything and round it off. So far so good! :D

Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:57 pm
by Eric1
Very Nice! Good Work!!

Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:24 pm
by Reid
Hull shape looks really good, so do the chines!
-Reid

Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:25 pm
by Jeff
Nice!!! Jeff

Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:45 am
by The Chironex
Thanks all. Happy Halloween! Going to glass this weekend, I’ll post pics.

Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:45 am
by RomanVilgut
The boat looks really nice. And everything looks so neat and accurate. Looking forward to more pics.

Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:16 pm
by Jeff
Nice work Chester!!! Did you get the paint email from Reid? Jeff

Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:09 pm
by The Chironex
Spent an hour or so today rounding edges and scuffing up epoxy. I’ll give it all a good sand with 100grit and then hose it off with the air compressor. About ready to start glassing.

Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:22 pm
by Capt UB
The Chironex wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:09 pm Spent an hour or so today rounding edges and scuffing up epoxy. I’ll give it all a good sand with 100grit and then hose it off with the air compressor. About ready to start glassing.
I like to wipe down the hull first with water or alcohol (with a rag) to remove any blush or sweat before sanding or laying glass. One of the reasons I only use BBC's MarinEpoxy with the slow hardener, very little blush if any!!

Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:09 am
by The Chironex
Got out in the garage and started rolling out the tape yesterday. Didn’t get a chance to apply any epoxy but it’s ready to go. Hopefully I can get rid of this kink in my neck so I can get this show on the road.

Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:18 am
by Reid
Looks like it will be a nice clean tape job. Don't forget to pre-wet your wood before tape or any fiberglass goes down.

-Reid

Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:12 pm
by The Chironex
Reid wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:18 am Looks like it will be a nice clean tape job. Don't forget to pre-wet your wood before tape or any fiberglass goes down.

-Reid
Yeah I tried to make it easy on myself and lay it all out dry and make all my relief/fold cuts. I’ll roll them all back up and label them with some painters tape so they’ll be ready. Hehe I’ll be sure to pre wet :lol:

Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:41 pm
by Reid
I figured that's what you were doing, I do the same thing.
-Reid

Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:08 am
by Dougster
I've had trouble with the tape sticking and pulling threads of glass off. Am I using the wrong kind of tape :doh:

Dougster

Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:21 pm
by The Chironex
Dougster wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:08 am I've had trouble with the tape sticking and pulling threads of glass off. Am I using the wrong kind of tape :doh:

Dougster
Yeah painters tape seems to work the best. Still pulls fibers but if you hold them together as you peel it, it won’t pull most of them.

Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:54 pm
by Capt UB
I marked the fiberglass tape with a sharpie. Really helped me lay the tape down.

Question for you,

is it only one layer of tape on the keel?

Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:19 pm
by The Chironex
Capt UB wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:54 pm I marked the fiberglass tape with a sharpie. Really helped me lay the tape down.

Question for you,

is it only one layer of tape on the keel?
Yeah I questioned that as well. 1 outside on the keel and 2 inside based off the lamination schedule.

Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:15 am
by Jeff
Guys, lets ask Jacques!! I am confident you will have an answer today. Jeff

Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:14 am
by jacquesmm
Yes and No.
You start with one layer of tape and later you will add the overlaps of the wide fabric. This gives you 3 layers outside.
With the inside layers, this creates a strong and stiff beam.

The scantlings are in the new notes that I rewrote last month. The previous scantlings were identical but the text was not clear.

Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:33 pm
by The Chironex
jacquesmm wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:14 am Yes and No.
You start with one layer of tape and later you will add the overlaps of the wide fabric. This gives you 3 layers outside.
With the inside layers, this creates a strong and stiff beam.

The scantlings are in the new notes that I rewrote last month. The previous scantlings were identical but the text was not clear.
Awesome Jacques, thanks for clarifying that up for us! 🤘🏼

Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:42 am
by The Chironex
Glassed the transom seams and chines with the help of some buddies. Started to get later and my wife called me in for dinner so I didn’t get to knock out the keel; probably will do that today. I’ll clean up any high spots and fill any bubbles, get the seams sanded up this weekend and get the big fabric laid out and cut to fit.

Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:20 am
by Jeff
Nice clean work!!!! Jeff

Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:42 am
by Reid
Nicely done! Build on!
-Reid

Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:07 pm
by The Chironex
Sanded and cleaned up the areas on the keel and laid down the glass for that. Got where I wanted to be before the weekend 🤘🏼!

Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:19 pm
by Rtorres2411
Very nice 8)

Ruben

Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:50 pm
by CatfishHunter
Looking good so far!

Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:23 pm
by Fuzz
Good looking work. There seems to be a bunch of OB15s being built right now. It is easy to see why, they are nice looking hulls.

Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:01 am
by Capt UB
The OB15's just look bigger then 15ft. Very nice job so far.
Bob

Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:31 pm
by 2Capfish1
Sweating along with you!! Just got mine glassed too! A little sanding now!!

Looking great!!

Chester

Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:48 pm
by The Chironex
Appreciate everyone’s kind words. Drilled some bubbles and filled them with a dental syringe, looking solid now. Probably won’t get much done this week due to leaving for vacation on Saturday. Might get a chance to sand down the high spots and rough up the seams in preparation for the large sheets of glass. That way I’ll be good to go when we come back. Goal is to have it ready for paint before thanksgiving 🤞🏼 We’ll see! Hah

Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:24 pm
by Dan_Smullen
Nice work. I love the aggressive schedule. I feel like if we don’t push, it ain’t gon get done!

I’m pushing for glassed by Christmas, and flipped in March!

Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:06 am
by The Chironex
Relaxed from vacation, fueled from Thanksgiving and ready to get some more progress done on this boat! First - enjoy this beach pic from Grand Turk 8O, second - I sanded down all the high spots and roughed up the one side in preparation for laying the big sheets of glass. Sanding the other side tomorrow and I’ll wipe everything down and get the big sheets laid out and ready to glass.

Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:36 am
by Rtorres2411
Nice beach picture. The hull is looking great.

Ruben

Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:56 am
by Capfish1
Looking good!

Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:30 am
by The Chironex
Let’s get her tucked in with some blankets of glass shall we? Any advice? :lol:

Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:22 pm
by Rtorres2411
The Chironex wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:30 am Let’s get her tucked in with some blankets of glass shall we? Any advice? :lol:
Just go for it :D.

Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:49 am
by RomanVilgut
Don´t forget to put some plastic under the building-frame. I forgot it and kind of glued my boat on the frame 8O

Except you like sanding :lol:

Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:39 pm
by Dan_Smullen
The Chironex wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:30 am Let’s get her tucked in with some blankets of glass shall we? Any advice? :lol:
Not advice, but another question...

What are the ramifications of some initial fairing at the tape edges prior to laying glass? There is somewhat of a serious "drop off" at the edges of 2 layers of tape, I had some concerns about glass and resin not laying all the way in at these spots. Looks like you're at the same point, I'm going to pose this question in a new thread.

Looks good! Keep it moving!

Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:56 pm
by Jaysen
Fairing compound is weak. If you really want to fill it use structural filler like milled glass, silica or wood flour. It will be hell to sand but you reduce the delam risk.

Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:24 pm
by The Chironex
Rolled out the glass tonight, feeling itchy :lol: Ready to get this laminated!

Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:04 pm
by Fuzz
Think I would cut pleats in the transom glass. Those huge overlaps are going to cause a lot of fairing.

Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:54 am
by Eric1
Fuzz wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:04 pm Think I would cut pleats in the transom glass. Those huge overlaps are going to cause a lot of fairing.
Absolutely!

Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:57 am
by Jeff
Completely agree with Fuzz!!!!!! Jeff

Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:00 am
by The Chironex
Fuzz wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:04 pm Think I would cut pleats in the transom glass. Those huge overlaps are going to cause a lot of fairing.
Oh I definitely will haha, didn’t want to mess with it last night; but I agree 100% no need for extra work :lol: . I’ll go back out in the garage today and clean up everything and get it cut and tucked away.

Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:20 am
by The Chironex
Much better. Now to plan a morning to get it all laminated. 🤘🏼

Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:36 pm
by Fuzz
That does look good. That is going to be a long glassing day but worth it to get it done in one shot.

Posted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:09 am
by The Chironex
Fuzz wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:36 pm That does look good. That is going to be a long glassing day but worth it to get it done in one shot.
Yes it will be 8O hah. I’ve got to pick a weekend morning and try to get it all knocked out. Going to try and convince the wife to help me out. :P

Posted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:37 pm
by Capfish1
How'd it turn out? How long did it take you to glass it? We finished in about 3.5 hours. Had my Wife mixing for the first couple of pours and my son was helping me with the glass as we had to fold it back to epoxy the bottom and then put the glass back over it to finish pouring... Was a fun Saturday!! Started at the transom and worked forward. That allowed me to have more flexibility on the bow, working to get the glass to lay... Hope yours is going well too!!

Chester - Shad Dart. OB15

Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:31 pm
by The Chironex
Capfish1 wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:37 pm How'd it turn out? How long did it take you to glass it? We finished in about 3.5 hours. Had my Wife mixing for the first couple of pours and my son was helping me with the glass as we had to fold it back to epoxy the bottom and then put the glass back over it to finish pouring... Was a fun Saturday!! Started at the transom and worked forward. That allowed me to have more flexibility on the bow, working to get the glass to lay... Hope yours is going well too!!

Chester - Shad Dart. OB15
Took the wife and I 3hrs! But we got it knocked out.

Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:41 pm
by cape man
Looks great! Big step.

Posted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:21 am
by Capfish1
Beautiful!!

Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:51 am
by Jeff
Very nice work!!!! Glad you had good help!!! Jeff

Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:35 am
by pee wee
Looks textbook good, and neat, too!

Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:51 pm
by Bogieman
Very nice! Looks almost invincible

Posted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:28 am
by RomanVilgut
Looks really nice. Great work!

Posted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:39 pm
by The Chironex
Thanks all for your kind words! Going to sand the high spots this week and go over the boat with some 100grit in preparation for filling; Any pointers? :lol:

Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:16 pm
by The Chironex
Built a rolling stand so I can move the OB out for sanding. Made my life easier and my garage less dusty.

Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:28 pm
by Dan_Smullen
Mobility is good!

No problems lifting the hull off the jig?

Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:41 pm
by The Chironex
Dan_Smullen wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:28 pm Mobility is good!

No problems lifting the hull off the jig?
Nope, the wife and I was able to lift it off after I removed a few molds. :D

Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:36 am
by Jeff
Agree, get it outside to sand when possible!!! Good progress!! Jeff

Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:23 am
by The Chironex
Been home more lately with all the chaos going on. Been taking advantage of it before work and getting some fairing done. I’d like to of done it all in one shot but slow and steady works too. Should have it fully covered in the 1st coat tomorrow. I’ll sand it all down and probably put another coat down to make it perfect.

Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:30 pm
by Jeff
Nice progress!!! Jeff

Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:19 pm
by Dan_Smullen
Slow and steady, Amigo!

Focusing on one area at a time has been helpful for me.

Keep at it!

Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:18 am
by The Chironex
First round of fairing done. Time to sand it down and apply another coat.

Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:20 am
by The Chironex
Dan_Smullen wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:19 pm Slow and steady, Amigo!

Keep at it!
Slow and steady! Thats my plan of attack as well. Progress is progress 🙌🏼

Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:43 pm
by Dan_Smullen
The Chironex wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:20 am
Dan_Smullen wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:19 pm Slow and steady, Amigo!

Keep at it!
Slow and steady! Thats my plan of attack as well. Progress is progress 🙌🏼
👍👊🤙

Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:50 am
by The Chironex
Quarantine and sand? 🤙🏼 After I’ll apply a final coat of fairing and it’ll be time for paint!

Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:42 pm
by Jeff
Nice progress!!!! Jeff

Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:08 am
by RomanVilgut
Nice progress!

Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:29 pm
by The Chironex
So been a busy year or so and I’ve been slowly plucking away on this 😅 I have not given up hah! So question before I continue further. I got my bow eye and a pair of stern eyes, at what height on the bow should I drill into it? Also would it be better just to use a basic bow eye over the one I currently have?

I’ve got 2 coats of primer on the boat and it’s just about ready for paint so I’d like to knock this out before proceeding further.

Thanks in advance!

Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:31 pm
by VT_Jeff
The Chironex wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:29 pm So been a busy year or so and I’ve been slowly plucking away on this 😅 I have not given up hah! So question before I continue further. I got my bow eye and a pair of stern eyes, at what height on the bow should I drill into it? Also would it be better just to use a basic bow eye over the one I currently have?

I’ve got 2 coats of primer on the boat and it’s just about ready for paint so I’d like to knock this out before proceeding further.

Thanks in advance!

I'm personally not a fan of that bow eye, had one break on me, albeit on a heavier boat. I like the u-bolt style.

Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:31 pm
by VT_Jeff
Hull looks great!

Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:47 pm
by Jeff
Agree, looks great!!!! Jeff