Jeffs FS14 LS

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Jeffs FS14 LS

Post by Jeff »

Looks like you guys are having a great time!! Jeff

Mojosmantra
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mojosmantra »

Elaine's first red on the trip! Ozello, some nameless key near the mouth of st martins river.
:D :D :D

What's next on the bucket list?

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Mojosmantra wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:42 am
Elaine's first red on the trip! Ozello, some nameless key near the mouth of st martins river.
:D :D :D

What's next on the bucket list?
We'd like to cook one! Elaine had promised the fishing gods that she would not keep her first slot red, which I'm guessing this was though we didn't measure it. We're headed to St Helena Island next in SC to visit our esteemed site Admin Jaysen for a few days and from our research and some info Jaysen has provided, there should be some reds to be had there, maybe we can get one in the pan. Jaysen has some intriguing preparation ideas, would love to give them a try. After that we're headed to Richmond so Elaine can do some WW kayaking and I can do some QC on Dan Smullens C19, make sure it's up to your standards and not merely mine! :lol: And then, bitter-sweetly, home.

BTW, Cameron came down to meet us in Yankeetown and led the way to Rocky Cove where I got a nice red, no photo of the red but here's bamaguy styling his very excellent FS14LS build.
20220416_094901.jpg
20220416_094508.jpg
Much like Trents, the build quality and finish is beyond incredible! Cameron has also become my technical assistant, solving myriad plotter issues and helping me shop and spend my money on high-priced trolling motors.

We didn't get a ton of time since he's got a baby and has his priorities straight, but we had a fun time navigating some chop and some shallows and have planned a weekend in Ozello next year.

Some quick review info for this area:

Ozello Keys Marina and Campground is a great, great place!. Just a few nice camp sites with dockage attached to a marina. Easy access to St Martins River and the gulf, taco truck on-site, peaceful surroundings, fishing guides coming and going all day with info to share.

Camp-n-Water in Homosassa was very nice also, much more of an RV park feel and a longer run to the Gulf but also a lot more going on as far as restaurants/attractions if you need that stuff.

B's Marina and Campground in Yankeetown served us well for a week. Not appropriate for a honeymoon but a decent fish-camp. It's idle/minimum wake speed to the gulf this time of year so it can take some time. Yankeetown has some drainage issues so bring some mud boots if there's any rain in the forecast. Our first day in the Withlacoochee we saw Dolphins, gators, bald eagles, manatees and maybe got a snook or two so no complaints there!

Lake Seminole State Park in GA is an awesome spot if you like to bass fish. Beautiful park, can leave your boat in the water at your site, really nice.

We have already reserved in Ozello and Big Pine Key for next year, will most likely hit Lake Seminole on our way down again. So, as far as a scouting mission, 100% success already!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Jeff wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:32 am Looks like you guys are having a great time!! Jeff
Most definitely! Took us 2-3 years longer than expected to get here but has been well worth the wait!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

Enjoyed the time on the water. Wish I could have hung around camp a bit. I'm definitely looking forward to the weekend at Ozello Keys next year. Seems like a great place!

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Going to attempt to mount my new 30hp tonight. For fun, because math is fun......

6000 rpm / 2.08 ratio * 12" pitch * 00095(inches per minute to mph) = 32.88 mph theoretical top speed.

I'm taking bets on actual top speed, closest to the pin wins accolades.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Fuzz wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:38 pm28.04
Ok, that's about a 15% loss (100 - ((28.04/32.88) * 100)), which seems pretty reasonable, I wish you luck!

Now you have to watch out for the "1 mph" and the "28.05" wise-asses. :lol:

This is an absolute-value contest, btw, so closest/over is fine.

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

30!

Mojosmantra
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster