Jeffs FS14 LS

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Jeffs FS14 LS

Post by cape man »

Fishing the Madison and/or Galitin Rivers at the end of the month. Have a 4 day meeting in Bozeman and a friend with a float boat! Last year on the Yellowstone, I saw a guy catching brown trout when nobody else was, using something a lot like that "meal worm" but darker. There's certainly a lot to "match the hatch", but I also think fish aren't as picky if it looks edible.

Really nice drum!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

cape man wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:49 am There's certainly a lot to "match the hatch", but I also think fish aren't as picky if it looks edible.
That is certainly true on the trout up here Craig. If nothing is hatching pick a fly or lure that they may eat. Shoot even artificial scented eggs sometimes work. Enjoy your trip!!!

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

cape man wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:49 am Fishing the Madison and/or Galitin Rivers at the end of the month. Have a 4 day meeting in Bozeman and a friend with a float boat! Last year on the Yellowstone, I saw a guy catching brown trout when nobody else was, using something a lot like that "meal worm" but darker. There's certainly a lot to "match the hatch", but I also think fish aren't as picky if it looks edible.

Really nice drum!
Enjoy that trip Craig! We're going to go through that area at the end of our roadtrip next spring and see what we can float. Hope you get some nice weather and some nice fish!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

cape man

Post by cape man »

The Yellowstone is probably still going to be hard to access next spring but floating the Madison near Ennis is beautiful.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

cape man wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:05 am The Yellowstone is probably still going to be hard to access next spring but floating the Madison near Ennis is beautiful.
Agreed, we were thinking probably best to just avoid Yellowstone altogether and let them do their work in peace. I'll read up on Madison near Ennis, appreciate the tip.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

cape man

Post by cape man »

The Galatin is also awesome along the north edge of the park. Plenty of places to pull off and walk down to the river that is in a narrow canyon. Smashed small rainbows for several hours one year all on cadis flies, and the scenery is amazing. That's towards the headwaters and the water is VERY cold! No waders, and after a few hours had to stop as I could no longer feel my feet.

Last summer I had a blast with small cuthroat in the Soda Butte which is near the eastern entrance. It flows into the Lamar River which I also fished, but didn't catch, listening to the bison which were about 50 yards away across the river.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Had a grand time in chokoloskee. This is a massive area, lot of water to cover and to learn. Bring a gps! We mostly stuck around the immediate area, though we did do an outside run to Pavillion key, some bights near Plover key and an inside run up the Lopez and down to the mouth of the Huston. Weather has turned so we're bolting a bit early, seriously contemplating a return trip next year, though i will pay closer attention to tides next time, try to time low tides with high sun.

Elaine managed a sight-cast snook, tarpon and sheepshead, a blind cast to a sweet red, and blind casts to myriad trout, ladyfish, snapper etc. I did a lot of poling. I did pickup a nice snook in ozello on a soft plastic, as well as a few bass in columbus and seminole.

Boat worked great, was never actually on fire. Looks like i'm getting around 10 mpg with the honda 30hp. The 40 mile round trip to the huston mouth had us getting pretty low in the 5 gallon tank, we brought a few extra in a jerry.

Met a lot of great folks here including a morning dog walking group, which was fantastic.

Next up is Lake Lanier, then Chesapeake bay to get an early ride on the SS Smullen.
Attachments
20230401_154644.jpg
20230402_131346.jpg
20230402_131355.jpg
20230407_152253.jpg
20230407_163104.jpg
20230409_105736.jpg
20230410_133257.jpg

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Nice! Send up a flare as you speed by!
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Jaysen wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:32 pm Nice! Send up a flare as you speed by!
Will do bud, hope you are well and warmedt hello to your better half from Elaine and me!

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice Jeff, looks like you guys had a great trip!!! Jeff