Jeffs FS14 LS

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Fair WX Pilot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Jeffs FS14 LS

Post by Fair WX Pilot »

VT_Jeff wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:18 pm
joe2700 wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:42 am This probably doesn't matter in NH or VT but in MA when I register the boat I need to show I paid sales tax on the materials to avoid paying sales tax on the whole boat. The plywood(from Boulter) and the motor purchased locally are the main things I'm going to show for that.
Interesting. When I registered my driftboat in VT, I showed them my receipts and paid tax on the total of the receipts I showed, I did not consider the fact that I had already paid tax on those materials, that's an excellent point! Why should I pay taxes on a boat that I built with materials on which the tax was already paid? I'll pay more attention next time, thanks for the heads up!
Just goes to show that every state is different. My GV10 cost $25 to register which was the processing fee and they hardly looked at the receipts. :D
Alan.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Alan,

I was about to make a circular saw guide when I came across yours in your build thread, looks like exactly what I want. Any updated thoughts/recommendations?

Thanks,

jeff
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Fair WX Pilot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Fair WX Pilot »

Hi Jeff, mine could do with being a little wider on the safe side of the fence to make it easier to clamp down. The motor on my Dewalt hangs out a fair way and sometimes interferes with the cut by catching on a clamp . It’s not a big deal, just annoying. I made it from an offcut so not much choice when I put it together. Certainly have used it a lot though.
Alan.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Fair WX Pilot wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:38 pm Hi Jeff, mine could do with being a little wider on the safe side of the fence to make it easier to clamp down. The motor on my Dewalt hangs out a fair way and sometimes interferes with the cut by catching on a clamp . It’s not a big deal, just annoying. I made it from an offcut so not much choice when I put it together. Certainly have used it a lot though.
Thanks Alan.

I put about 6" on the safe side on mine and it seems to work well, I've been using weights(rubber-coated barbells) on the safe side instead of clamps so far and it works really well. I used some HD fiber board that has a smooth side and a rough side(partly your suggestion and partly what I happened to have lying around). The rough side sticks to the object piece quite well, no slippage, and I'm not running around the table clamping between cuts.

I have a question on the order of operations. Most builds I see at least fair/prime the bottom before starting the inside. I'd prefer to put off all sanding/fairing/priming/painting until early summer when I can move from the basement to the garage. Any reason I can't flip the boat after glassing the bottom and work on the inside/decks/hatches/etc until it's warm here?

Thanks,

Jeff
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

All it means is a couple extra flips. With a smaller boat I do not see it as being any big deal.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Thanks for the confirmation Fuzz. A few extra flips doesn't concern me.

Quesiton 5/10,000+:

Is the deck intended to rest on top of the sheer or be flush with the top of the sheer? I read somewhere that the deck should not be cut ahead of time, wait until the hull and frames are done, put the deck panels on top and trace the sheer onto the underside of the deck panels. I think this would imply that the deck sits on top of the sheer. If that's the case, it would either a) be proud of the gunwale height or b) need to extend out to the outer edge of the gunwale, covering it. Maybe this will be clearer to me once I see where the frames line up with the top of the sheer but for the moment, I can't envision how these will all fit together.

Thanks again (and again)

jeff

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Part 2 to that question above about how the deck joins the sheer: the sheer is not vertical, so when I add the rubrail, it will also not be vertical on the sides/horizontal on the top. So if I laid the deck on top of the hull with the rub rail on it. the horizontal deck would not join the top of the rub rail flush, there would be a wedge-gap. Do I plane the top of the rub rail horizontal before laying/tracing the deck and extend it out to the edge of the rub-rail? Or just fill the gap with fillet blend? My last boat did not have a deck at the sheer so the question never came up.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Page 5/12 of the building notes explains it;
We show the deck extending over the sides and epoxy welded to a rubrail. That rubrail acts as a spray rail.
Some builders may prefer to install a sheer clamp (= a batten on the inside), it is optional, either method is fine.
The deck is in one plane, flat.
The construction drawing shows the rubrail and an optional sheer clamp which is a batten running along the inside edge of the sheer.
The preferred construction method is to drop the deck on top of the rubrail and sheer clamp. You can skip the sheer clamp and glue only to the rubrail but the 1st method makes a stronger edge.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Thanks Jacques.

The horrible drawing attached shows an exaggerated version of what I was referring to, but I'm guessing the "gap" will be too small to be concerned with and will get filled when i weld the deck on.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Last edited by VT_Jeff on Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Easy one: Do butt blocks need to be of the same thickness as the pieces being joined?