Jeffs FS14 LS

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Jeffs FS14 LS

Post by VT_Jeff »

As trout season nears to a close and the leaves are about done falling, fly-fishing season morphs into fly-tying season for the Mrs, and boating season turns back to boat-building season for me.

We're in full-on prep mode for the spring trip, the one that's been pushed off for 2 seasons already. Elaine is studying up on salt species, patterns, habitats and techniques, and hitting the home gym to get tuned up for the 10k casts she's planning. I'm making some fairly major mods to the skiff, will post some updates when I have some progress.

These are Elaine's first few Red patterns, I suspect she'll be filling a good number of boxes before we head out.
20211028_213609.jpg
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Tell her “shrimp, mullet and mud minnow”. Those are the three main dishes down here.

In April the shrimp will be 3-4”. We fish them under a rattle cork at the edges of the grass or over flats. That or we got trialing red right between the eyes with them.

Mullet should be under 3” over over 6”. These are held about 4” off the bottom right in the weeds I’d drifted on sand bottoms. That time of year… no flounder so weeds. If you see a tailing red hit them right between the eyes with it.

Mud Minnows are 2”-3”. If you think there is a fish stick on there. Trout are more likely to hit these on an out going tide within 3’ of a grass line or 3’ off the lee side of an oyster rake. Red fish… aim for the spot right between the eyes.

If she needs photos to help with patterns, let me know. Can get each pretty easy just need to head into the drink to sang them for you.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

Seems Jaysen has it down pat. I think on the Atlantic side they use some crab patterns as well. Not sure how useful they are on the Gulf.

Once I wrap the boat up getting back in to fly tying seems like the logical thing to do. I did it a little bit as a kid because my dad would paint and tie poppers, but I never got very good at it.

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

Time we’ll spent for both of you!

Pop ‘n fly is another trick the locals like. Scaled down version of a popping cork.

Can’t wait to see what you’re cooking up on the boat!

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Jaysen wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:52 am Tell her “shrimp, mullet and mud minnow”. Those are the three main dishes down here.

In April the shrimp will be 3-4”. We fish them under a rattle cork at the edges of the grass or over flats. That or we got trialing red right between the eyes with them.

Mullet should be under 3” over over 6”. These are held about 4” off the bottom right in the weeds I’d drifted on sand bottoms. That time of year… no flounder so weeds. If you see a tailing red hit them right between the eyes with it.

Mud Minnows are 2”-3”. If you think there is a fish stick on there. Trout are more likely to hit these on an out going tide within 3’ of a grass line or 3’ off the lee side of an oyster rake. Red fish… aim for the spot right between the eyes.

If she needs photos to help with patterns, let me know. Can get each pretty easy just need to head into the drink to sang them for you.
Great info! Has been passed to the tier, feathers will soon be flying!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

bamaguy0 wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:41 am Seems Jaysen has it down pat. I think on the Atlantic side they use some crab patterns as well. Not sure how useful they are on the Gulf.

Once I wrap the boat up getting back in to fly tying seems like the logical thing to do. I did it a little bit as a kid because my dad would paint and tie poppers, but I never got very good at it.
You'll be the Dad painting poppers soon enough!

I tried a few flies 25-30 years ago, shelved it along with fly-fishing for whitewater kayaking, which I found much better suited to my patience level at the time.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Dan_Smullen wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:33 am Can’t wait to see what you’re cooking up on the boat!
Agreed! I'm like a kid on Christmas eve waiting for a few new "parts" come in!

Mojosmantra
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mojosmantra »

Jeff - what's the shaft length on your trolling motor? Would you want it to be longer or shorter?

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Mojosmantra wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:40 pm Jeff - what's the shaft length on your trolling motor? Would you want it to be longer or shorter?
It's 48" and I'm pretty happy with it. Could be shorter, maybe as much as a foot shorter and still work fine, probably more so if your boat is not +10% like mine. The whole thing is a fly-line magnet but that comes with territory.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HB ... UTF8&psc=1

I pm'd you again on the locks, good to go.

Mojosmantra
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mojosmantra »

VT_Jeff wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:48 pm
Mojosmantra wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:40 pm Jeff - what's the shaft length on your trolling motor? Would you want it to be longer or shorter?
It's 48" and I'm pretty happy with it. Could be shorter, maybe as much as a foot shorter and still work fine, probably more so if your boat is not +10% like mine. The whole thing is a fly-line magnet but that comes with territory.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HB ... UTF8&psc=1

I pm'd you again on the locks, good to go.
Good to know. I'm looking at 48" - but good to know 42" would work as well. I've been trying to tell myself that I don't need one, but the truth is I don't think I'd know what to do without one. I do a lot of solo fishing and poling platforms and push poles are pretty useless when your alone.