Jeffs FS14 LS

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Jeffs FS14 LS

Post by VT_Jeff »

Still breaking it in so have not hit full throttle yet but a few things are clear already:

1. It's going to do at least 30. I've hit 28/29 already without pinning it.

2. The 20 was definitely underpowered for this build: I was regularly twisting the grip past it's stop looking for more power/speed. With the 30hp, I can cruise 24mph at like 3/4 throttle. With the 20, 24mph was top speed downwind. Adding pitch to the 20 was not an option as it struggled to hit max rpm with the three of us on it(Elaine, myself and the dog).

3. Having full remote controls is an insane upgrade over the split controls I had before. Docking is a breeze now. Also, the 30hp has tilt/trim, the 20hp only had tilt, so that is super-nice.

No regrets on starting out with the slightly-used 20hp/tiller, it was a great deal and I got a full trade-in(or close, I was supposed to trade it in before I put a few hundred salt hours on it :help: ) on it and it got me out on the water when my budget was tight.

Fuzz, you're out of the running. Sorry buddy, can't win em all.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

I expect you to be at 5900 t0 6000 rpm's when you record top speed. :D

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

VT_Jeff wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:30 am Fuzz, you're out of the running. Sorry buddy, can't win em all.
Oh well can't win them all. And higher the speed is mo better for you :D Over 30 in that small of a boat has to feel like you are flying. 8O

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

30 is about as fast as I'd care to go in mine for sure!

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

I got it pinned momentarily and it was right at 30. Was not glass but I think it's gonna be 30-31 max.

For 3 years we've been trying to get a freshwater drum on the fly in Lake Ontario. Finally happened today. Fly was a "mop" tied from a piece of rain-x sponge. Elaine did the tying and the catching, I drove the boat.
Attachments
20220702_123938.jpg
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Congrats that is a nice drum, they are hard enough to catch on live bait but on a fly, wow.

What rpms were you at when you pegged top speed?

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

bamaguy0 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:35 pm 30 is about as fast as I'd care to go in mine for sure!
As evidenced by his next post (and what I’m sure we both noticed in person) VTJeff isn’t the one setting the boat requirements.

:-D
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

Jaysen wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:35 pm
As evidenced by his next post (and what I’m sure we both noticed in person) VTJeff isn’t the one setting the boat requirements.

:-D
Elaine was nice enough to lend me Jeff for the day when we met up! He actually got to fish. :lol:

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

TomW1 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:20 pm Congrats that is a nice drum, they are hard enough to catch on live bait but on a fly, wow.

What rpms were you at when you pegged top speed?

Tom
Thanks!

No tach but safe to assume it was the design max of 6000.

cape man

Post by cape man »

Come on. You can get one more little mile per hour and hit my 32!

Alone my dory hits 31 with a 70. I slow it down right away...usually. 8) 30mph in that boat is flying. Bet you're happy! :D
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman