Jeffs FS14 LS

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
PapaDave
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Jeffs FS14 LS

Post by PapaDave »

Hi Jeff,
Great to see you putting another boat together. Nice looking strong back. I like how you tapered the 2x4 legs at the floor.
Enjoy the process,
Dave

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

About ready to hit the road for a week of drum-hunting in Chesapeake Bay under the expert tutelage of local builder Dan "The Man" Smullen, Mr. C19 himself!

I had to do a last minute starter swap on the RV. No one could get me in so I braved the underside of the sprinter myself armed with nothing but a YouTube video and an E14 torx socket. It went miraculously smoothly, at least so far.

If all goes to.plan Elaine should be humble-bragging photos of speckled trout by sundown tomorrow. What could possibly go wrong?
20210930_081017.jpg
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Wow! I think the forum would enjoy a video of me backing that rig down the ramp!

Dougster

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Dougster wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:39 am Wow! I think the forum would enjoy a video of me backing that rig down the ramp!

Dougster

Ha! Speaking of which, I was at Lake George last weekend with this rig and the ramp there, at Rogers Rock, is a CLIFF! I am pretty confident when it comes to backing up trailers with the RV, been doing it a long time, but this definitely had my full attention! Did NOT want to end up on youtube!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Nice looking rig there Jeff. You can go about anywhere with that. 8)

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Have a great trip!!!! Jeff

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

VT_Jeff wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:47 am
Dougster wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:39 am Wow! I think the forum would enjoy a video of me backing that rig down the ramp!

Dougster

Ha! Speaking of which, I was at Lake George last weekend with this rig and the ramp there, at Rogers Rock, is a CLIFF! I am pretty confident when it comes to backing up trailers with the RV, been doing it a long time, but this definitely had my full attention! Did NOT want to end up on youtube!
I am currently addicted to the Miami Boat Ramps channel on Youtube. If you ever need a personal confidence booster, that's what you need to watch. :lol:

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

The boat is awesome, Jeff. Great evening eating and drinking, and an even better morning on the water talking boats, fish and life.

I’m not surprised that you and Elaine proved more effective at finding fish on your own than me showing you around. I’m hoping you two can a find a few more throughout the week!

Holla if you need anything or want to make a day trip into the city!

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice guys!!!! Jeff

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Dan_Smullen wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:57 pm The boat is awesome, Jeff. Great evening eating and drinking, and an even better morning on the water talking boats, fish and life.

I’m not surprised that you and Elaine proved more effective at finding fish on your own than me showing you around. I’m hoping you two can a find a few more throughout the week!

Holla if you need anything or want to make a day trip into the city!
Thanks so much Dan, great to finally link up!

For the record, Dan told us where to go, what to look for, how to fish, and using his step by step instructions, elaine had a drum on the fly within a few hours of launching the fs14. Wasn't huge, but legit. Dan showed me a rig this morning that didnt produce at the time(soft plastic under a float), but I copied this afternoon and lost count of the speckled trout it got me. It also got me hooked up with a monster that half spooled me and then broke my line, we'll find it tomorrow and get the jewelry back.

So thanks for the info, for trailering the boat so Elaine could get her beauty sleep during dawn patrol, and for the expert local knowledge, incredible trip already, plenty left to go!

Also, I know a guy who's brother has a boat scrap yard who may have some serviceable hardware(cleats etc), I'll keep you posted on progress on that front.
Attachments
IMG_0850.jpg